Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Discussion Time

Why did Labour lose its heartlands? - Page 13

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Why did Labour lose its heartlands?

edited 11 January 2020 at 2:19PM in Discussion Time
311 replies 3.6K views

Replies

• edited 12 January 2020 at 3:08PM
    WillimSWillimS Forumite
    9.1K posts
    edited 12 January 2020 at 3:08PM
    Wild_Rover wrote: »
    What the Labour Party decides to do about its next leader is of course up to the membership, but as someone who ought to be a voter the Party should be trying to attract, maybe I could make a comment?

If the Party wants to have a chance of winning an election, try this... look out to see which candidate/s are supported by Momentum, then vote someone else in as leader.

Just a thought!

WR

Take a look at each potential leader and rule them out, Thornberry is clueless, Long-Bailey too far left, Starmer too posh and titled to relate to ordinary working class people.

Clive Lewis, Jess Philips are possible, it really is a case of picking the best out of the worst bunch.
  • kpwllkpwll Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    WillimS wrote: »
    Take a look at each leader and rule them out, Thornberry is clueless, Long-Bailey too far left, Starmer too posh and titled to relate to ordinary working class people.

Clive Lewis, Jess Philips are possible, it really is a case of picking the best out of the worst bunch.

You missed out Lisa Nandy, she comes across as sensible in her approach and not preachy or holier than thou. This is who I would pick out of the bunch standing.
  • MariscoMarisco Forumite
    42K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild_Rover wrote: »
    What the Labour Party decides to do about its next leader is of course up to the membership, but as someone who ought to be a voter the Party should be trying to attract, maybe I could make a comment?

If the Party wants to have a chance of winning an election, try this... look out to see which candidate/s are supported by Momentum, then vote someone else in as leader.

Just a thought!

WR
    I believe that is Rebecca Long Bailey.
  • NewShadowNewShadow Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    kpwll wrote: »
    You missed out Lisa Nandy, she comes across as sensible in her approach and not preachy or holier than thou. This is who I would pick out of the bunch standing.

She was on Question Time back in October - still on iPlayer: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0009690/question-time-2019-10102019

I think she came across quite well given the questions/fellow panelists.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 25% = £32,500 Banked!
    Next Step: Complete = possibly in a few weeks = On Track On Hold
    giphy.gif
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
    42K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kpwll wrote: »
    For me, it would be between her and Jess Phillips :) They both seem to have a grasp of the problems that beset Labour at the minute.
  • HRH_MUngoHRH_MUngo Forumite
    771 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I think out of all of them, if I had a vote, I would vote for Lisa Nandy. She seems less left-wing than the others.

Starmer is Smarmer, and a wolf in sheep's clothing, Long-Bailey is the preferred Momentum candidate and Phillips is shouty and preachy.

AFAIK the other two haven't got enough endorsements yet, so may not get through to the next round.
    I used to be seven-day-weekend
    42K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who kicks Momentum out and brings the party more to the centre will do for me, it goes against the grain to vote Tory, I don't want to have to do it again. :(
  • edited 12 January 2020 at 3:17PM
    TheNicksterTheNickster Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 January 2020 at 3:17PM
    All of the leadership candidates could be described as to varying degrees left wing. None could be described as politically centrist.

Some of you insist that for Labour to win a general election the party needs to be seen as centrist.

Even Tony Blair describes himself as liberal/social democrat and that is still left wing (not centrist) to some degree. In 1997 Tony Blair won decisively a General Election on a moderately left wing manifesto.

Like it or not each of the the candidates to be elected leader has to attract support from both the moderately left and the further left of the party. This means they have to negotiate a delicate balance between left and right of the party.

ETA Where are the dividing lines politically between left wing and centrist and between centrist and right wing? They appear to be somewhat vague if not actually shifting over time.
    Do not be fooled into believing that this society cannot be made fairer because hard work isn't necessarily all it takes.
    There are those on MSE DT who know the price of everything but the value of little.
  • edited 12 January 2020 at 4:14PM
    Mrs_pbradley936Mrs_pbradley936 Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 January 2020 at 4:14PM
    They need someone that can appeal to the Country not the Party - that was what they got wrong last time!
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    16.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ETA Where are the dividing lines politically between left wing and centrist and between centrist and right wing? They appear to be somewhat vague if not actually shifting over time.
    They're also confused by using the same left/right labels for social and economic policies, which are totally different things. For instance, many of the so-called "far right" parties here and in Europe are actually quite left wing economically, the "far right" label comes from their social policies (anti immigration/immigrants, gay rights etc) rather than economic policies (taxation/spending etc)