Vehicle Control Services PCN

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me. Here is my situation: On November 23rd l attended a football match in S!!!!horpe and parked close to the stadium on a retail /commercial estate. When I parked up, I parked behind a van that had cameras pointing out, which I took to be some sort of parking control company.

I approached the driver of said van and checked that it was OK to park there, as at least a dozen other vehicles were already parked up in the same place. He said l would be fine, so l parked up and went to the match. I'm someone who will walk miles to avoid parking tickets etc as I absolutely hate getting them!

Three weeks later I received a Parking Charge Notice with pictures of my car in the location and a £100.00 charge (reduced to £60 if paid within so many days). I was absolutely shocked at this given the reassurance by the driver who l assume(d) was an employee of this outfit.

I sent in an appeal explaining what had happened but they have refused it basically saying they can't take account of his actions. It's an absolute scandal that he and they can get away with hoodwinking people like this. It goes without saying that l have no way of proving that conversation with him took place, but the pictures of my car sent on the notice show the space vacated by his van shortly after the conversation took place. Judging by the pictures taken he has filmed me within 5 minutes of the conversation.

Can anyone advise me what to do now? I really don't want to cave in and pay this as I'm fuming that the employee deliberately misadvised me.

Many thanks.

Replies

• RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing to be done , except plead your case to a judge within 6 years , regarding entrapment , predatory counduct etc , meanwhile ignore the debt letters

see the NEWBIES sticky thread about all this
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Get pictures of the site and signage and wait to see if they try court in the next six years. Ignore debt collectors. Post 4 of the NEWBIES tells you why it is safe to do so, but do not ignore real court papers.

I'm assuming you gave away the driver's identity in your appeal, which is a shame.

Complain to your MP about this unregulated scam.

What happened when you complained to the landowner?

Unless you can prove the camera van was something to do with VCS, and you can prove a VCS employee told you it was OK to park, then it will be your word against theirs.

Parking scammers tell lies in order to operate their scam. You may well have been a victim of this.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Re identity of the driver, I can't / couldn't deny it was my car as it's registered to me.
    52.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re identity of the driver, I can't / couldn't deny it was my car as it's registered to me.

As far as the law is concerned, the driver, owner, keeper, and registered keeper can be four different people.
    Unless your car only has one seat, the keeper could have been a passenger, and was most certainly an occupant of the car, but not necessarily the driver.

There is no reason whatsoever to throw the protection of the protection of freedoms act away by telling the scammers who was driving. There is no law that can compel anyone to do so either.
  • Obviously in hindsight this would have been a better course of action but I couldn't think of any reason to deny being the driver as to the lay person that's getting into dangerous territory.
    52.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously in hindsight this would have been a better course of action but I couldn't think of any reason to deny being the driver as to the lay person that's getting into dangerous territory.

That is exactly what the scammers rely on, people not knowing their rights or understanding the ins and outs of how to respond.

This is not us/me having a go at you, it is us/me trying to explain how to deal with the scammers who use dirty underhanded tricks.
    They won't tell you that you don't have to identify the driver, and in some cases they tell you that you must, which is an out and out lie.
  • edited 31 December 2019 at 9:34AM
    RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 December 2019 at 9:34AM
    think of it as like a "no comment" interview, or where the americans plead the fifth due to the fact that they may incriminate themselves

its up to the PPC to prove who the driver was

how many police programmes have you seen where they chase a TWOC or stolen vehicle or pool car , it stops and 5 people starburst out and run in different directions ? who do they try to follow and catch ? yes , the driver

if they cannot prove who the driver was, there are no prosecutions due to not knowing who committed all the driving offences

its why they review the dashcams in order to see who was wearing what clothing and did they have a beard ? what ethnicity were they ? was it the bearded one in the red hoodie with a white gangster logo on the sleeve and blue shoes with red flashes ?

why did the solicitor tell the prisoner to say "no comment" ??

think carefully about these issues, its not just parking
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • Snakes_BellySnakes_Belly Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Often people come onto this forum part way through the process and have unfortunately identified themselves as the driver. I was one of those who identified as the driver. It's better to fight the claim as keeper but don't think that all is lost.

Don't whatever you do appeal to the IAS (second stage of appeal). They will most certainly dismiss your appeal. It's the most time wasting and bruising experience.

You will start receiving letters from debt collection agents. I personally responded to the first letter and disputed the claim. Then just file them until you get a letter before claim then you need to start taking action.

On your side is the fact that some courts are dismissing claims whereby the PPC has added on an extra £60.00 for debt collection fees.

Also on your side (assuming that your user name indicates that you are from Staffordshire) is that VCS have to use local representatives who are often ill prepared.

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No-one tells people here to lie and deny being the driver.

How come newbies don't get it, that all we are saying is appeal in your capacity as registered keeper. that is NOT denying being the driver, not lying, nothing bad.

No-one is telling you to pay it either.
    He said l would be fine, so l parked up and went to the match.
    He meant you would be fined! He probably found it hilarious so get your own back by sticking around, learning from this forum and winning in court next year.

:D
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD