Fibre broadband availability

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
12 replies 558 views
bpspmcbpspmc Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Fibre broadband has been available on our street since March this year and people who are with BT have either had it installed or have had the option to have it installed .I am with talktalk who have said numerous times that it is not available on our street. I am in a contract with talktalk till June 2020 with a very slow broadband speed. Does anybody have any idea why talktalk cannot access the fibre broadband that is available to BT customers? Also does anybody know the best way to contact openreach so I can ask them the same question. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• If fibre is available on your street, then it’s not restricted to one supplier. OpenReach install the broadband network, and then suppliers like BT, TalkTalk, Sky etc rent the lines. TalkTalk are talking nonsense.

If you want to switch to BT, BT will more than likely pay your early termination fee for you. I’d advise you to get their Superfast Fibre Unlimited Complete Wifi package. BT will also send your their newest technology (https://www.bt.com/broadband/complete-wifi) free of charge, for probably around £40 a month. Which is roughly £5 more than I was paying TalkTalk.

Now, look at my speed with BT compared to TalkTalk. TalkTalk is the 2nd one, the 1st is after I switched to BT:
    https://ibb.co/cc5Bxft

Hop on BT’s live chat on their website and their sales team will give you an offer you cant deny.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    < BT will more than likely pay your early termination fee for you >
    That is unlikely /but phone BT is usually better than chatting with somebody in Asia /
  • steveE2steveE2 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If fibre is available on your street and TalkTalk cannot supply,it's possibly a FTTP (fibre to the premises)connection where BT are one of the lower cost suppliers and TalkTalk/Sky don't yet have the product available to order.
  • hosay299hosay299 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    we have fibre in part of our street some people can get it but other can not even one person can and the house next door can not

what is going on why not just do the whole street there is only 230 house and at bottom of street there is 2 new developments 

any help on how to get it for the ones that can not
  • clive0510clive0510 Forumite
    642 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Im with talktalk and I have a telegraph pole in my garden. came one day to find contractors attaching the necessary equipment to go fibre. okay fair enough. and now anyone of my neighbours around about can get fibre, except for those with talktalk. including me.if I go on the talktalk website it says not available in your post code.
  • wongataawongataa Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    clive0510 said:
    Im with talktalk and I have a telegraph pole in my garden. came one day to find contractors attaching the necessary equipment to go fibre. okay fair enough. and now anyone of my neighbours around about can get fibre, except for those with talktalk. including me.if I go on the talktalk website it says not available in your post code.
    That is because TalkTalk have chosen not to offer FTTP plans yet.  They are perfectly capable of doing this if they choose to.
  • Peter999_2Peter999_2 Forumite
    751 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    wongataa said:
    clive0510 said:
    That is because TalkTalk have chosen not to offer FTTP plans yet.  They are perfectly capable of doing this if they choose to.

That's not strictly true.   Talktalk do offer FTTP in various places in England - they just currently do not offer any using BT equipment.   Not surprising really with the rip off prices that BT Openreach charge.
    642 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have just sent talktalk a message on there community page. If I can not get fibre with them then I will change to a supplier where I can get it. simple as that.
  • edited 27 April 2020 at 9:28AM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 April 2020 at 9:28AM
    We still dont know if you are talking about old fashioned fibre to the cabinet or the roll out of Openreach fibre to the premises .
    Open Reach cabling through the BT ducts over your neighbourhood  taking a good few weeks would suggest FTTP  .
    642 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭
    we have fibre in this area. ie to the telegraph pole in my garden. but talktalk say its not available in this postcode. but various neighbours with other suppliers say it is available and some of them have it.