Landlord Tells VCS To cancel But..

HIya

Sorry to ask this but I got a PCN issued by VCS whilst delivering some heavy equipment , This was challenged and go to the point when the Landlord/Owner instructed VCS to cancel the PCN, in the end they agreed to cancel it but mentioned there would be a £40 admin fee but did'nt state who actually paid this me or the landlord, this was back in 2016.

As I thought this had been resolved I thought nothing of it, then 2 months ago a debt collection agency started chasing this, but not just for the £40 or the original amount of £100 but estimated interest plus £60 for the debt recovery company, now they are claiming i owe them if it goes to court of £227.15.

So VCS lied as they did not cancel it at all and now they have sent me a Letter Before Claim but they want a form completing which i will be stating "I dispute the debt".

VCS wont discuss this either (No surprise there!!)

So what to know is this worth fighting the CCJ and the chances of defeating there claim?

Replies

• The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let them take you to court, from what you have told us they are likely to crash and burn.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP after the election, as it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You aren't fighting a CCJ. A lot has to happen before one of those can be ordered by a court.

You are fighting an unfair court claim.

What did the landlord say when you complained?

Read the guide to court written by bargepole you will find in post 2 of the NEWIES.

Also read the "abuse of process" thread by beamerguy where judges have been throwing out cases due to fake add-ons of £60 or so.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Hiya

Yeah if needed I have full intention in fighting them over this and certainly will put a complaint in to my local MP, theses companies are basically theives
  • Your right I am fighting there claim before they take this further, the landlord was great and told VCS on more than one occasion even to the point he told them off and said how unhappy he was with there conduct.

But I can see now the signage has changed so think he binned VCS which is probably why they have re-opened this. If they are stupid enough I dont mind fighting them further if I have to but was asking how the courts would view this apart from possibly wasting there time.

I also knew they couldnt start adding additional bogus charges
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You won't be able to complain to your MP until after the 12th, but do let rip afterwards.
    There is nothing stopping you bending the ear of any candidates before the election and asking them what they intend to do about this unregulated scam.
    You could suggest their answer might sway your vote and that of friends and family. ;)
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not ask the landlord for a written statement of what occurred and how he wanted and demanded that VCS cancel the charge. Handy evidence if this went to court.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try and get a WS from that landlord , signed and dated etc

Read up on Jopson and how deliveries or removals are allowed

Read the abuse of process thread and the CRA 2015 etc

Don't bother arguing , just email a SAR to the DPO at VCS to obtain all the documents and pictures and data about you and your vehicle

Read post #2 of the newbies thread

Wait for the SAR reply and the court claim pack from the CCBC
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News