Free hospital parking for blue badge holders - how ?

edited 30 November 2019 at 8:46AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
14 replies 520 views
50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
10.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November 2019 at 8:46AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
My local hospital charges £5 per 2 hours for parking and offers no concessions and as a blue badge holder who visits the hospital on average 1.5 times per week - the offer from the Tories looks quite good for me
However the car park uses a "parking eye controlled" ANPR system - so how will they allow free parking for disabled ?
They cannot require pre-registration - because of first time visitors
They also cannot rely on reimbursing due to "mobility" issues (ie walking twice as far as a "normal" just to get the payment reimbursed)
How will they get round this problem ?

Replies

• flea72flea72 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    At my local hospital, you register on your first visit, and the anpr also gives a 20 minute grace period. Sorted
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Register at Reception on arrival (possibly each visit?)?
    Whitelist for regular visitors/patients?

There'll still be a feeding frenzy as many won't understand, forget, in a panic due to late arrival/bad news.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • edited 30 November 2019 at 1:01PM
    The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2019 at 1:01PM
    Please read this

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

Have they complied with the provisions wrt disabled parking? Did you? If did why? Also read this

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5972164[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]PE have lost recenlt in court because of their signs[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5957364

[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP after the election, as it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • edited 1 December 2019 at 9:44AM
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 December 2019 at 9:44AM
    Our hospital car park is run by "INTERSERVE PRIME"
    They do not give any reason for not complying with the "free blue badge parking" rules - they simply do not offer it
    Previously - before the new car park was built - on the same piece of land - the hospital used to provide around 50 free blue badge parking spots - no longer though !!
    There are not parking scammers in the true sense of the word - but they do rip us off !!
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Please read this

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

Have they complied with the provisions wrt disabled parking? Did you? If did why? Also read this

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5972164[/FONT]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]PE have lost recenlt in court because of their signs[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5957364

[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP after the election, as it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused. In your first post you say it is controlled by parking eye but in your post above you say it is run by Interserve Prime. They are two separate companies.

The BB scheme does not apply on private land so there is no requirement anywhere to offer concessions for disabled motorists whether they have a BB or not.

I have not read what the Tories are offering but since a previous Tory Secretary for Health said parking at hospitals should be free for staff and visitors, this new idea is not offering something that does not already exist.
    The problem is the current parking principles as per the link provided by The Deep are not being enforced.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do not give any reason for not complying with the "free blue badge parking" rules - they simply do not offer it

Are you saying that they are flouting the NHS Parking Principals? I have not read them, but if they are it could be the silver bullet if they were daft enough to tae this to court.
  • edited 1 December 2019 at 12:04PM
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 December 2019 at 12:04PM

Are you saying that they are flouting the NHS Parking Principals? I have not read them, but if they are it could be the silver bullet if they were daft enough to tae this to court.

Doesn't that depend on what the actual regs state ?
    And they appear to be very vague - more like parking "advice" ...
    The regs concentrate on the number and size of spaces
    NOT the price !!
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course it does. As I have said I have not read them, but I very much doubt that they are "vague". In my experience such advice is usually very explicit.
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course it does. As I have said I have not read them, but I very much doubt that they are "vague". In my experience such advice is usually very explicit.

OK Find them and read them.... !!
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no intention of doing so, I am not the one facing a court claim for breach of contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides