Advice: PCN for paying parking fee late in the day

Hi, I am being chased now by debt collector letters asking for £160 for an unpaid PCN I was disputing. I have been parking in a car park at the train station since 2013. There is a 24 hour pay and display requirement but there is no hourly rate, only a daily rate of £7.70 which does not get cheaper if you park later in the day (as happens in the adjacent car park). They have payment available online as well as in cash at the machine (the operator is Euro Car Parks). I have used this for about 3 years and got into the habit of parking and then jumping on the train and paying online.

In June this year, they started to issue PCNs if there was no parking paid when a warden came to check. I queried one PCN by providing my payment receipt - at the daily rate and which was due to expire at 4am as usual thus covering the full day - and they cancelled the PCN.

In this case, I paid later in the day and I do have a receipt for the £7.70 daily amount for parking. However, they did not cancel this one and say that a valid permit is required at all times and have now escalated it to debt collection, demanding £160. Can they make me pay that much? It seems totally disproportionate and they didn't make a loss in any case as I did pay the full parking amount as I always do and have a receipt to prove it. I am curious that since there is a set daily charge, if they can really enforce payment from moment of parking as a condition and claim they made a loss by me paying the full amount possible a few hours after I parked? I always pay, I have 6 years of full payment history and I feel this is unfair. Thank you.

Replies

• edited 29 November 2019 at 1:05PM
    FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2019 at 1:05PM
    Debt collectors have no powers and can be ignored. Post 4 of the NEWBIES tells you why it is safe to do so.

If the car park is a railway asset where byelaws apply, then you should never reveal the driver's identity either to the scammers or on here. Indeed, you should never give away the driver's identity except in very specific circumstances such as an own space ticket.

If byelaws apply then it will become statute barred by the Magistrate's Act after six months have elapsed.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You owe nobody anything unless a judge or Magistrare says so and from what you told us this would be extremely unlikely imo.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP after the election, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and in some cases, cancellation.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • The car park is actually not the railway car park and is differently controlled as it's private land. I was actually wondering if they could even have a case against me since I did pay the parking and it's a daily rate regardless of time of day of purchase. I don't have the POPLA number as I don't have the original PCN and the operator won't send it to me, so POPLA say they can't help me. Going round in circles. Ignored all the debt collector letters thus far per advice on this forum.
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Email a SAR to the DPO at ECP to flush out all documents and pictures and data about you and your vehicle attaching a copy of the V5C as proof of I D under the GDPR law

The newbies thread tells you about this so I have no idea how you missed it

This will get you the PCN or NTK

Ignore the idiot debt collectors , post #4 of the newbies thread tells you that

Use the newbies faq sticky thread as your bible
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides