New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Beard Growth

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Funny Money
11 replies 2.9K views
50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
10.6K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Funny Money
I have read that beard growth is around 1cm per month
And that the average human has around 5 million hair follicles on their body with approx 120,000 on their scalps
But cannot find out how many follicles are found on the average face - anyone ?
I am trying to calculate the total length of beard that an electric razor removes in a year....
Things may (or may not) get better

Replies

• z1az1a Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why ?
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I have read that beard growth is around 1cm per month
    And that the average human has around 5 million hair follicles on their body with approx 120,000 on their scalps
    But cannot find out how many follicles are found on the average face - anyone ?
    I am trying to calculate the total length of beard that an electric razor removes in a year....
    z1a wrote: »
    Why ?

Pure interest......
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s also weird that hair in different parts of the body grows to different lengths.

Head hair seems to have no limit as to growth, whereas hair on arms does.

Eyelashes don’t just keep growing and growing, do they? Just as well.

Eyebrow hair doesn’t grow all that long. It just stops when it gets to a certain length. 
    Having said that, in the last couple of years, I’ve noticed that there is one hair on one of my eyebrows that has started growing extra long.
    Just one hair.
    Weird.

When I notice it growing  longer, I pluck it out, because it starts tickling,
    Maybe it is aspiring to be a head hair?

Or,  maybe it’s not just that the shorter type of  hairs stop growing, but that they fall out at a certain length and the follicle starts again.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• MoneymadmarkMoneymadmark Forumite
    50 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Pyxis said:
    Head hair seems to have no limit as to growth

Sadly, mine does!
    I've not shaved in 6 weeks now (since lockdown) and my beard growth really put a spurt on for the first two weeks but growth has now slowed to a near stop. Then again, I've had unconfirmed/non-tested Coronavirus for the past two weeks (seriously) so slow growth could be a side-effect of that, as my body diverted its energy to fighting the virus; I'm much better now, but I'm still exhausted at times.
    I've not had a beard attempt for years - the last as a fair-haired student - 20 years later and it is now grown back in white, which was a surprise.
    Hope that helps a little!   :) 
    I wish I had thought of a better user name as this makes me sounds greedy :( It was meant more tongue-in-cheek.
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyxis said:

Sadly, mine does!
    I've not shaved in 6 weeks now (since lockdown) and my beard growth really put a spurt on for the first two weeks but growth has now slowed to a near stop. Then again, I've had unconfirmed/non-tested Coronavirus for the past two weeks (seriously) so slow growth could be a side-effect of that, as my body diverted its energy to fighting the virus; I'm much better now, but I'm still exhausted at times.
    I've not had a beard attempt for years - the last as a fair-haired student - 20 years later and it is now grown back in white, which was a surprise.
    I suppose I was talking more about the actual head as in scalp, rather than facial hair.

Your experience just makes all the different types of hair and their individual ‘habits’ all the weirder!

It is also a bit weird that as men get older, their beard hair can start turning white before their head hair does, and it’s not because they dye their head hair! Plus often the beard hair grows in stripes!

Thinking about it, hair is fascinating! 😄😄
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The avergage human has 100,000 hair folicles on their heads - composed of around 25,000 on the face and 75,000 on the scalp
    Which, with an average growth rate of 1cm per month - means that we shave off 250metres of beard every month or around 8 metres every day
    That can't be right - can it ?
  • edited 29 April at 11:54AM
    PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 April at 11:54AM
    50Twuncle said:
    The avergage human has 100,000 hair folicles on their heads - composed of around 25,000 on the face and 75,000 on the scalp
    Which, with an average growth rate of 1cm per month - means that we shave off 250metres of beard every month or around 8 metres every day
    Well, if there’s a total growth of 8 metres a day, that means that each of the 25,000 face hairs only has to grow 0.032 cm a day, which is probably about right, I would think, especially as that’s an average figure.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• MoneymadmarkMoneymadmark Forumite
    50 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Pyxis said:
    Pyxis said:

Sadly, mine does!
    I suppose I was talking more about the actual head as in scalp, rather than facial hair.

Your experience just makes all the different types of hair and their individual ‘habits’ all the weirder!

It is also a bit weird that as men get older, their beard hair can start turning white before their head hair does, and it’s not because they dye their head hair! Plus often the beard hair grows in stripes!

Sadly, my head hair never made it to white :'( You are correct about the white beard stripes - which was another surprise - I look like a pelican beacon that has been painted wrongly!
    I wish I had thought of a better user name as this makes me sounds greedy :( It was meant more tongue-in-cheek.
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyxis said:
    Pyxis said:

Sadly, mine does!

Sadly, my head hair never made it to white :'( You are correct about the white beard stripes - which was another surprise - I look like a pelican beacon that has been painted wrongly!
    Watch out for pedestrians, then! 😁
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyxis said:
    50Twuncle said:
    Well, if there’s a total growth of 8 metres a day, that means that each of the 25,000 face hairs only has to grow 0.032 cm a day, which is probably about right, I would think, especially as that’s an average figure.

So the "powder" that is collected daily by my shaver - equates to 8 metres per day ?
    Seems much too much ..