Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

Scammers getting inventive/desperate

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Scammers getting inventive/desperate

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
9 replies 1.2K views
QuasarQuasar Forumite
121.7K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
Just got a call on my landline from 020 8216 2391, a London number. All I got was a recorded message advising me that my BT broadband would be disconnected within 24 hours as my IP had been compromised - and I should call them back.

I'm with BT telephone line, but my broadband service is with another company. Plus, my IP is dynamic so that it changes every time I connect to the net.

Needless to say, I just ignored it. But it was a London number, which has set me thinking. How long can they hope to get away with it?

I googled the number but got no results.
Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.

Replies

• welshbookwormwelshbookworm Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had one today , who told me she'd ring me back if I hung up!She hung up on me :)
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    48.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not showing on whocallsme.com, but there is nothing stopping you reporting it on that site to warn others.

Just because it appears to be a London number doesn't mean that it originates there. Technology now can bounce calls around the world to make it look as though it is local/national, but it's just as likely to have originated overseas.

Sadly there is very little you can do about it except pay for a call blocker. Personally I think the problem is so great that 'phone providers should offer blockers for free.
    Other opinions are available.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • webjavedwebjaved Forumite
    441 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Phones come with a built in feature now where you can block phone numbers.

Otherwise, if you are on Android you can use an app called "Call Blocker".
    Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
    Save £15k in 2020 #128 - £1250/£15k
  • QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes, on my mobile I block all such numbers. On the landline I get very few calls and I don't mind just putting the phone down. I was just posting about this scam, as the phone number and crisp English accent may look/sound genuine.
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Getting Inventive" - these calls have been going out for years!

And IIRC we have plenty of threads from posters who have or have had people taken-in by them!
  • POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pogofish wrote: »

And IIRC we have plenty of threads from posters who have or have had people taken-in by them!

Yes they have.

The one I was getting sometimes 6 times a day was £600 has been sent from my credit card abroad and if I did not authorise it to press 1.
  • QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    pogofish wrote: »

I know these calls have been going out for years. But to me the the novelty was the posh English accent and a London number. Before I always got Alan or John or Amy with a strong Asian accent from an unspecified international number.
  • edited 21 August 2019 at 5:16PM
    pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 August 2019 at 5:16PM
    Quasar wrote: »
    I know these calls have been going out for years. But to me the the novelty was the posh English accent and a London number. Before I always got Alan or John or Amy with a strong Asian accent from an unspecified international number.

Phone numbers have also been spoofed for a very ling time too (early/mid 2000s?) and some Asian call centres are actually pretty high-status operations, geared at the UK/American market, mainly thanks to our generous international development funding. Staffed by persons from private school backgrounds whose english is indeed often impeccable and accent-free. You may find the same firms handling a range of clients, from major international corporations, to shonky spammers like these pretty-much seamlessly as most of the scammers "commissioning" goes via overseas third parties in other difficult to action places.

Its a long way from the sweatshop/barely literate business it once was - although yes, some of those do still exist.
  • MothballsWalletMothballsWallet Forumite
    15.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q, you may be interested in this YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBNG0osIBAprVcZZ3ic84vw/videos

Does contain some NSFW/"salty" language, most often from the scammers themselves - you have been warned ;)
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021