Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Travel insurance after 2 years out of UK?

New Post Advanced Search

Travel insurance after 2 years out of UK?

4 replies 661 views
baggies666baggies666 Forumite
47 posts
I am coming to the end of my 2 years policy and my current insurance provider says they cannot offer me any more extensions, I was not planning to come back to the UK for at least another 2 years and wanted insurance for another 2 years, because of my age (55) and pre existing condition general health insurance not any good for me.

Does any one know is it possible to get another insurance plan for 2 years as I have been out of the UK for 3 years now?, if I have to return back to the UK before taking out another policy is there a minimum time I have to spend back in the UK?

Thanks
May 2009 Debt-Free Wannabe

Mortgage £128,170.66
DEBT1 [strike]£23,711[/strike]-[STRIKE]£15,711[/STRIKE] £5500

Replies

• Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you return to the UK you need to stay for at least six months.

Two travel insurance policies that you can buy when you are anywhere in the world: True Traveller and Nomads. I have no idea how they handle people with pre-existing conditions.
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that travel insurance will cover your needs? as being out of the UK for 5 years without returning doesn't sound like a holiday.
    I doubt very much if you will find any travel insurance provider willing to cover you for such an extended stay out of the UK.
  • edited 19 August 2019 at 3:28PM
    baggies666baggies666 Forumite
    47 posts
    edited 19 August 2019 at 3:28PM
    That is what I was thinking and wondering how long I would have to be back in the uk to start another policy I suppose 6 months sounds correct thanks, I have a house so will come back at some point just wanted to stay away longer, it just seems easier to cover my pre-existing in the uk than here in asia.
    May 2009 Debt-Free Wannabe

Mortgage £128,170.66
    DEBT1 [strike]£23,711[/strike]-[STRIKE]£15,711[/STRIKE] £5500
  • ArchergirlArchergirl Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It would seem you are using travel ins as health ins, not sure they are the same thing.....