Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

Who has never made you laugh - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Who has never made you laugh

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
66 replies 4.5K views

Replies

• JackmydadJackmydad Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I do find funny is how many of these "funny" people and shows other people don't actually find funny at all.
    And it's not just me being a miserable old bloke not seeing it.

I'd have liked to see the late, great Dave Allen live. Most of the present lot I turn off as quickly as possible if they're on the TV!
  • tommixtommix Forumite
    41.3K posts
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    What I do find funny is how many of these "funny" people and shows other people don't actually find funny at all.

I'd have liked to see the late, great Dave Allen live. Most of the present lot I turn off as quickly as possible if they're on the TV!

I agree, comedy aint what it used to be. Used to be funny back in the day.

Harry Worth will be spinning in his grave at the likes of Keith Lemon, and that big dope David Walliams, who's about as funny as a man without a sense of humour.:(
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

He was very funny.:rotfl:
    9.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is funny comedy, but it's not the overstated, "slapstick and swearing" that seems the norm these days.
    Just watched a series on NowTV, called "Camping" that we thought was really funny.
  • couriervanmancouriervanman Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy Carr.......funny as watching paint dry

And as for another poster saying Peter Kay........the guy is a genius and if you can't laugh at Phoenix Nights something is wrong with your sense of humour
  • tommixtommix Forumite
    41.3K posts
    Jimmy Carr.......funny as watching paint dry

And as for another poster saying Peter Kay........the guy is a genius and if you can't laugh at Phoenix Nights something is wrong with your sense of humour

All a matter of personal taste..Some peeps think Jimmy Carr is a genius..

Anyway who says I didn't laugh at Phoenix Nights? I liked Phoenix Nights and I laughed quite a lot actually. I was talking about his stand up routines, I thought I made that clear with my reference to his bloody 'biscuit dunking' Joke. I am not a fan of 'observational' humour..I prefer surrealist humour, which is why I like Stewart Lee.

Here's a surrealist Joke I just made up.

Q) How many Salvador Dali's does it take to screw in a Lightbulb?

A) Clock.
    :beer:
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tommy Cooper. My missus and my mother always thought he was hilarious but he left me totally flat. Keith Lemon was quite amusing when he first came on the scene but, like so many comedians, he got to the point where he thought everybody would find him amusing simply because of who he is.
    9.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Tommy Cooper. My missus and my mother always thought he was hilarious but he left me totally flat. Keith Lemon was quite amusing when he first came on the scene but, like so many comedians, he got to the point where he thought everybody would find him amusing simply because of who he is.
    I reckon that goes for a lot of them.
    My dad used to find Tommy Cooper hilarious. I never really got him.
    I accept that people find different things funny, but some things I just can't see as being funny more than occasionally.
  • Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    but there are worse including Micky Flannigan, and any others who need to use foul language to get their laughs......doesn't say much about their audience either.

I love Micky Flannigan.
    I also adore Trevor Noah.
    I quite like Michael Macintyre & Sarah Millican too.
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw him live many moons ago in London, I nearly wet myself

He really was so funny, and the thing was, about 30 mins in I needed the loo. Only I was sat in the front row, dead centre and didn't dare ask people to move so I could go. because he lit on any member of the audience who dared move

And the tears were running down my face at his jokes and it got to the point where I was praying that he would just stop
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it