Cashing in ISA to pay off Mortgage

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
4 replies 1.3K views
Colinw63Colinw63 Forumite
9 Posts
Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
I contacted my provider in May for a value on my ISA mortgage and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was £29700. I asked for the paperwork to cash in as my mortgage is only £34500. I changed to repayment mortgage years ago but kept the ISA going as a savings plan. Plan is to use some savings to pay off in full.
I completed the necessary paperwork and sent it off knowing that the value could possibly go down due to the normal market pressures. Anyway, payment has gone in to my account today and the value is only £26700. A drop of 10% in less than a month seems excessive to me, is anyone aware of a crash with HBOS shares?
I asked at the time if there were any sort of charges and i was told not. I am going to call them tomorrow for clarification but just wondered if anyone knows if it is such a volatile market to lose 10% value in such a short space of time.
Is it actually possible that the advisor could have given me an incorrect value in my initial call?

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    . A drop of 10% in less than a month seems excessive to me, is anyone aware of a crash with HBOS shares?

What do HBOS shares have to do with your ISA? Did you used to hold some in your ISA?

What actually were you invested in?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Colinw63Colinw63 Forumite
    9 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I did not word that correctly. I did not mean HBOS shares, rather the value of the shares in the relevant HBOS ISA investment plan
  • Reed_RichardsReed_Richards Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    An ISA is just a tax-free wrapper around an investment. If you can tell us what that investment actually was, specifically, then you will get a more rapid response than you will by waiting around until we find someone who knows enough about HBOS Mortgage ISAs to make an educated guess.
    Reed
  • AlexlandAlexland Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you asked your provider to explain the difference in value?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals