New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Boris 114

edited 13 June 2019 at 1:11PM in Discussion Time
169 replies 2.1K views

Replies

• .string..string. Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    onlyroz wrote: »
    :rotfl: So name me his biggest achievements as mayor? Was it the water cannons? Or perhaps the Garden Bridge? Or maybe the Boris Bikes, an idea he stole from Ken Livingston?

Being elected for the second time is probably his most important achievement as far as the Conservative Party is concerned. They want a winner to prevent a Labour/SNP Coalition.

As far as a detailed Boris achievement, I really have not followed London events particularly closely and, as is common with many here in this thread, certainty not the detail of it, but presumably the majority of Londoners thought he had done a good job.

There s a reasonable argument to favour the candidate who can bring disparate views together and has overwhelming support. At the moment, on that criteria, Boris looks likely.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this public debate next week to see which PM-hopeful I would actually like to see win.
    Union, not Disunion

I have a Right Wing and a Left Wing.
    It's the only way to fly straight.
  • edited 15 June 2019 at 11:51AM
    .string..string. Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 June 2019 at 11:51AM
    Ted_Bloke wrote: »
    p
    Thank you, I had meant to mention but forgot the change of guard in Brussels, I have now incorporated your reminder.

I was just reacting. Yesterday's news seemed like it was all over bar the shouting (for election of Tory leader, that is, The little matter of Brexit would be ongoing). But forcing a televised confrontation where you actually talk about real policies however superficially is apparently part of a fight back, and is taking him on a weak point

As you say, winning elections is key. That is the main reason he would win this election would be that he is considered to have the best chances of winning another, a general election.

PR is a lot of what the London Mayor's job is about. I have been reading that he did that bit well enough, spent a lot on vanity projects like the garden bridge which never happened, however London is now lacking a bridge with the closure of Hammersmith bridge; he didn't get any affordable housing built, I read that the show in London was kept on the road by an eminence grise or 'Boris's brain' whose name hardly anyone knows. Probably will not turn out to make any difference to anything, just saying.

He did box himself in by promising Brexit by October. It will be embarrassing and needful of distraction at The late September Party Congress where he will probably be short of a triumph in Brussels to announce. That is probably when we shall begin to hear in the press of the 'Ditch Boris' movement, as we have with every PM I can remember.

Yes - I agree with your points; see also my post above,

On the boxing-in, yes that's true although I would imagine he wishes to give credence to his "agree-or-no deal" approach to EU Negotiation (if there is anyone there to sit down with of course).

In order to leave with a deal he has to base that on May's deal; there are so many issues dealt with (sorted in other words) that it would be foolish to throw them all away. With 2 exceptions they are essentially transitory arrangement for a transition period.

IF an agreement for the withdrawal was reached in good faith, there would probably be no need for a delay in the actual Brexit date. Nothing would actually stop either side from tidying up the formalities afterwards with interim arrangements in place to keep the status quo until the transition phase formally began.

Edit: I forgot to mention what the two exceptions; they are of course the Irish Border thing and the future trade arrangement.
    Union, not Disunion

I have a Right Wing and a Left Wing.
    It's the only way to fly straight.
  • adindasadindas Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You forgot London Olympic
    He beat Ken Livingstone twice and elected for the second time as London Major.

Also He is defenitely a much better than Teresa May. Theresa May left UK be humiliated.

.string. wrote: »
    Being elected for the second time is probably his most important achievement as far as the Conservative Party is concerned. They want a winner to prevent a Labour/SNP Coalition.

As far as a detailed Boris achievement, I really have not followed London events particularly closely and, as is common with many here in this thread, certainty not the detail of it, but presumably the majority of Londoners thought he had done a good job.

There s a reasonable argument to favour the candidate who can bring disparate views together and has overwhelming support. At the moment, on that criteria, Boris looks likely.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this public debate next week to see which PM-hopeful I would actually like to see win.
  • MothballsWalletMothballsWallet Forumite
    15.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    OMG I was nearly sick when I heard Pritti Patel defend BoJo "robustly" earlier. She's like a brainwashed handmaid.

I am ashamed to share a county with her :o
    I am ashamed to share a universe with these so-called human beings.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
  • melburymelbury Forumite
    13.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    onlyroz wrote: »
    :rotfl: So name me his biggest achievements as mayor? Was it the water cannons? Or perhaps the Garden Bridge? Or maybe the Boris Bikes, an idea he stole from Ken Livingston?

So if he was that bad why did he get elected a second time?
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• melburymelbury Forumite
    13.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    OMG I was nearly sick when I heard Pritti Patel defend BoJo "robustly" earlier. She's like a brainwashed handmaid.

I am ashamed to share a county with her :o

Why?

She just wants Brexit to happen and I don't think anybody else will get it done:)
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• onlyrozonlyroz Forumite
    17.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    melbury wrote: »
    Perhaps his big achievement was just letting things coast along. If he does that as PM then he might do OK. I suspect, though, that he’ll eventually open his mouth and “do a Trump”, further embarrassing and humiliating the British people.
  • melbury wrote: »
    Harold Wilson was elected 4 times.
  • kabayirikabayiri Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems pointless to try and critique BoJo as a candidate from a neutral stance.

You have to consider how the average Tory party member will see things.

As with the choice of May, they might not get it right ... I thought she would be something which she turned out not to be.

BoJo could be similar. Only time will tell.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    End result its up to the party members who wins out of the last two .