edited 31 May 2019 at 3:10PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
5 replies 414 views
beamerguybeamerguy Forumite
17.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
Man stays in PE controlled motorway car park and fell asleep for 6 hrs

Judge doubles the charge ??????

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7088033/Driver-29-fined-200-falling-asleep-motorway-services-driving-sick-mother.html

MOTORWAY SIGNS SAY
"TAKE A BREAK"
"TIREDNESS KILLS"

Replies

• UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judge doubles the charge ??????
    I suspect there's a bit of editorial sensationalism there. It's probably the standard PE court claim:

£100 parking charge
    £50 solicitor costs
    £25 court filing fee
    £175.

Possibly plus £25 hearing fee.

Exactly what they were claiming, there was no added Judge 'punishment'. Non-story, MSA stays beyond 2 hours almost always carry a charge of around £12+.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Typical Daily Fail lazy reporting there is not much substance to that article and I suspect as Umkomaas says the judge didn't double the [STRIKE]fine[/STRIKE] charge it's just the total of everything added up.

He seems like a bit of a plonker anyway, and probably didn't challenge any of the charges that PE threw at him.
  • BrownTroutBrownTrout Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The guy is an idiot. Motorway tickets are so easy to get cancelled
  • edited 31 May 2019 at 3:58PM
    MistyZMistyZ Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May 2019 at 3:58PM
    Shouldn't have happened at all.

I have a chronic disease that causes severe fatigue, undiagnosed at the time of a journey to Shropshire from Shetland. No idea what was happening to me, too freaked out to do the rational thing and stop overnight - homing instinct was overwhelming. Numerous naps in service stations for as long as was necessary kept me safe on the roads.

'Needed to rest' shouldn't even be questioned when there's a genuine reason, so much is at stake on motorways.
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not a fine.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News