New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

EU election results

edited 27 May 2019 at 1:10AM in Discussion Time
169 replies 1.8K views
steve900steve900 Forumite
82 posts
edited 27 May 2019 at 1:10AM in Discussion Time
My goodness. The voters need their head reading. You are voting on brexit party?

Replies

• colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look at the results it just shows we are a very polarised split Country, total up the leave and remain votes and they are about the same, my fellow people of the North East ended up electing a Brexit candidate who actually lives in France and commutes to London, How do you make sense of that?
  • venisonvenison Forumite
    4.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its hard to tell from the results what the country is really feeling, because we don't know what the 23% who voted labour or tory support, yes the brexit party had a great night and so did the Greens, labour and the tories had shocking night, the tories their worst ever showing, labour came 3rd in Wales the first time since 1906, thats how bad it was.
    But to see it as some kind of referendum on what the people want is wrong, we are as divided as the politicians and will remain so.
    What happens next? the tories elect a leader hell bent on no deal, labour move fast towards openly supporting remain and a second referendum maybe to get back support in London only to lose it in their northern heartlands.
    MSE bring back discussion Time, its removal is an outrage at best and an attempt at censoring at worst !
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    29.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the impression that people are fed up to the back teeth with politicians. The referendum stated the countries(those that bothered to vote)wish to leave the EU. MP's were pushing for their own position against what their constituents wanted. The governments negotiators were seen as lilly livered and to have given in to the EU at every turn.

I don't think many people took the EU election as a very serious thing and will probably not vote anyway like they did when the next election comes up.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • WillimSWillimS Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I think however the media try to fudge the results Farage and his Brexit party cleared the board, now what does Farage and the Brexit party stand for ....... Oh yes that's right....... Leaving the EU.

Combining the results of all the 'Losers' who are claimed to All be 'Remain', still doesn't equate to the overwhelming majority Farage and his Brexit party gained, registered on the 5th February 2019, about 15 weeks ago, imagine the damage they will do in 15 months.

I think its more than clear people voted for Farage the Brexit party because they want Out of the EU.
  • tommixtommix Forumite
    41.3K posts
    As far as Brexit is concerned the EU elections have just confirmed what we already know, namely that there is no way out of the EU..We are locked in and the key has been thrown away. Sweet!:cool:
  • The tories/labour deservedly took a huge kicking!

How will the brexit party do in general election?
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    11.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    venison wrote: »
    Its hard to tell from the results what the country is really feeling, because we don't know what the 23% who voted labour or tory support, yes the brexit party had a great night and so did the Greens, labour and the tories had shocking night, the tories their worst ever showing, labour came 3rd in Wales the first time since 1906, thats how bad it was.
    But to see it as some kind of referendum on what the people want is wrong, we are as divided as the politicians and will remain so.
    What happens next? the tories elect a leader hell bent on no deal, labour move fast towards openly supporting remain and a second referendum maybe to get back support in London only to lose it in their northern heartlands.
    We're not really that divided a nation on brexit; 2/3rds of the country didn't consider it important enough to vote.

So then we're down to those who did vote - were all of their positions polarised or was there a spread of opinions?

If we say that as many as half of the people who voted are entrenched in their positions, then that amounts to approximately 15% of the electorate who are seriously divided.
  • VWPolecatVWPolecat Forumite
    156 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    Boris will win the Leadership but he will be stuck like May and unless he can break out of that loop before the GE Farage will win the most seats. Look forward to a Brexit/Con coalition.
    All hail Prime Minister Farage.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    steve900 wrote: »
    My goodness. The voters need their head reading. You are voting on brexit party?
    May I introduce you to Exhibit A: Euro Elections.

Mods? :wave:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • WillimSWillimS Forumite
    9.1K posts
    VWPolecat wrote: »
    Boris will win the Leadership but he will be stuck like May and unless he can break out of that loop before the GE Farage will win the most seats. Look forward to a Brexit/Con coalition.
    All hail Prime Minister Farage.

It will be the end of July before the replacement PM, now given that timetable whoever is the lucky/unlucky winner if they play their cards right they could tactically do ok.

If they stall until the 31st October the deadline for the Brexit extension, they could 'force' the EU to make that decision no UK party want to commit to ....No Deal.

So let that happen, the EU will shoulder the blame taking the heat off the new Tory leader and the Conservative party, they can play the victims for a while, gain public sympathy and support, and then get on with a No Deal Brexit, its a No Brainer. ;)