Improving my credit score as a housewife

Options
Hello forumites, I’m hoping you’ll be able to give me some guidance!

I’m trying to improve my credit score as my husband and I would like to buy a house soon. I do not work because of my illness/disability, so I don’t have an income.

I’ve joined the MSE Credit Club and used it to check my file and found an old bill and paid it, and that’s helped my credit score rise to ‘fair’. But I don’t know what else I can do to improve it other than getting a credit card. Is there a way for housewives to get a credit card using their husband’s income?

Will my ‘fair’ credit score adversely affect our ability to get a mortgage if the bread-winner’s credit score is good?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your fair score is just a made up number. It doesn't have any relevance to lending.

What appears in your three credit files? Anything negative - or are they just largely empty?

Try getting a card that asks for household income to build some history.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MJ_Wilton wrote: »
    I’ve joined the MSE Credit Club and used it to check my file and found an old bill and paid it, and that’s helped my credit score rise to ‘fair’.
    Were you in arrears? Or perhaps the account had defaulted?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 May 2019 at 1:07PM
    Options
    As above, ignore the number as lenders generate their own. Concentrate on the contents of the credit record, what it lists as good and bad, and resolve that as it seems you are doing.

Just apply for any credit card for those who have poor credit such as those from Aqua and Vanquis. Don't worry about the interest rate because you won't be carrying a balance over from one month to the other so you won't pay interest. The credit limit will be low initially, typically they start around £250-£500. Do some normal spending on it, say a weekly shop once a month or the fuel you put in your car, and set up a direct debit to clear the bill in full every month. That way you'll build up a history of borrowing, repaying and pay no interest to do so.

You say you have no income due to your disability. Have you made sure you're getting any benefits you're entitled to? Nothing wrong with claiming say ESA or PIP if you are.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Make sure you're on the electoral roll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts