Bedroom flooring material - what's best for asthma/dust allergies

New Post Advanced Search

Bedroom flooring material - what's best for asthma/dust allergies

3 replies 387 views
noclafnoclaf Forumite
304 posts
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
✭✭
Due to change bedroom carpet soon, it's over 10 years old so well due for a change and the bedroom is to be redecorated anyway.
My asthma is significantly worse than it used to be and more importantly dust has become a trigger too.

Looking for tips on good flooring options taking into account my allergies and the following:
- don't mind carpet or hard flooring such as laminate/wood
- durability is important
- safety from the perspective of the flooring material being safe/suitable for a bedroom is also key.. both in terms of comfort and use of safe materials in the flooring that don't release toxins etc
- easy to maintain/clean

Thanks

Replies

• aliby21aliby21 Forumite
    244 posts
    ✭✭
    I would definitely go for hard flooring. Carpets just offer a hiding place for dust, with hard floors you will know when it is there. You will see lots of dust but it is much easier to sweep / hoover up IMO. You can always put down a (washable) rug if you want something cosier. I like engineered wood, though some LVT (luxury vinyl tiles) are nice too, you can get ones that look pretty convincingly like wood. Though this does depend on what look you want :)
  • jk0jk0 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have this problem too.

I have laminate flooring, a dustproof mattress cover, and traditional sheets & wool blankets.

The wool blankets have been quite a revelation to me, as they are washed in a wool cycle every fortnight, and my allergies hardly bother me now.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    31.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laminate or LVT will be tough enough as miuch of it is guaranteed for heavy domestic use, beyond what a bedroom experiences. If the bedroom is upstairs or on a wood floor, laminate will probably be cheaper and more suited to the situation.

Consider putting in a good thick 5mm underlay to reduce noise and also replacing skirting boards if you don't want to have scotia strip along the edges to hide the join.
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?