New Post Advanced Search

Door handles, steep stairs

1 reply 283 views
DelambreDelambre Forumite
4 posts
Our property has a fairly steep and narrow flight of stairs running up to a loft/dormer conversion. There is an internal door at the very bottom of the stairs, which opens outwards onto the landing. Because space is limited, the door literally opens onto the very first step of the staircase.

The door handle height is perfect when we're on the 'landing' side (i.e. opening the door to climb the stairs), but when we're coming down the stairs the door handle is low and very awkward to reach. However, if I move the handle and latch up 6 inches to make it more comfortable to reach from the staircase side, it will look ridiculously high on the landing side of the door (particularly as the door is located immediately next to another one).

Is there any kind of handle/latch mechanism for internal doors that would allow me to place the door handles at different heights on each side of the door? I've Googled endlessly but can't find anything. Failing that, any other bright ideas are welcome! Thanks.

Replies