Getting calls from private number

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
8 replies 580 views
hubbhubb Forumite
2.2K posts
Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
For the life of me I cannot block or ID the person who tries to call me with a "private" profile on my Nokia lumia phone. I can't even block them as their info is greyed out. I keep this number private and don't give it out lightly expect reputable websites for my contact info.

Anyone know what this could mean, should I answer it or ignore ?

Replies

• Matty36Matty36 Forumite
    173 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    Well no, you cannot block private numbers via your call log settings. But I think you can block private numbers by downloading any one of the call blocking apps on the app store. There are loads.

Personally, i just ignore private numbers. If I don't know who they are before hand, then they ain't getting the privilege of wasting my time.
  • Poppy1984Poppy1984 Forumite
    459 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    If you answer it and sternly tell them you want your number removed from their database and if they call you again they will be reported that might put an end to it
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    Debt remaining: £13,425
    Original DFD Aug 2024 New DFD June March Jan 2023
  • Matty36Matty36 Forumite
    173 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    Poppy1984 wrote: »
    If you answer it and sternly tell them you want your number removed from their database and if they call you again they will be reported that might put an end to it

Rarely ever works.

Just to add to my original post, I would only answer a private number if I'm expecting an important call at or around the time of the call.

The OP could always register with the TPS, but I cant remember if that covers mobile numbers
  • ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

or howl at the moon will have the same effect

NOWT!
  • worried_jimworried_jim
    11.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It won't. .
  • nick74nick74 Forumite
    603 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I tend to answer such calls but not actually speak, just leave the phone off the hook in a quiet corner for them to talk to themselves for a couple of minutes. Seems to be the most effective way of getting them to stop calling, and wastes a bit of their time too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    hubb wrote: »
    For the life of me I cannot block or ID the person who tries to call me with a "private" profile on my Nokia lumia phone. I can't even block them as their info is greyed out. I keep this number private and don't give it out lightly expect reputable websites for my contact info.

Anyone know what this could mean, should I answer it or ignore ?

Dependant on phone you can frequently block withheld numbers from the dialler and if not, there should be an app in the Windows store that can do it.

Don't forget that this will block ALL withheld numbers which may have unintended consequences.
  • edited 17 May 2019 at 2:17PM
    Poppy1984Poppy1984 Forumite
    459 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    edited 17 May 2019 at 2:17PM
    Deleted post
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    Debt remaining: £13,425
    Original DFD Aug 2024 New DFD June March Jan 2023