New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Travel expenses after JSA

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
2 replies 430 views
sunshineintherainsunshineintherain Forumite
7 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
Hi everyone,

I have recently (about 2 and half) weeks ago started a new job, I signed off Job Seeker's Allowance straight off, easy enough to do over the phone. now I have just been asked by friend if I'm getting my travel expenses paid, to be honest I am struggling until I'm paid but apparently I am entitled to them after a little google but my questions are as follows:-

1. Have I left it too long? 2 and a half weeks in.
2. Do I have to phone up or can I just turn up at my job centre?
I would've phoned today but I have no credit until it renews over the weekend.

Any help would be appreciated.
Lurked for ever so long.

Replies

• MarkN88MarkN88 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    From experience it is usually your work coach at the job centre that would deal with expenses and not the contact centre staff over the phone.

They will probably tell you there is nothing they can do now because you should of asked before you signed off JSA.

There's no harm in asking, but you would need to do this in person, which might be problematic if you work the hours the job centre are open.
  • Thank you for that, I will pop in tomorrow morning before I start work and ask, they keep everything quiet don't they? I can only ask and if they say no then so be it.
    Lurked for ever so long.