New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Comments made by friend

40 replies 7.1K views

Replies

• PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just say you're old and sensible enough to recognise your physical limits and people have to make up their own minds about where those limits lie. Dont let yourself be coerced Into things you don,t want to do. It,a not as if this was an employment situation where you may have been under more pressure to comply.
  • RobisereRobisere Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Life really is too short to worry about this. Your life, your ways, your business, not your interfering 'friends'. Either of them.

Live it your way, you do not have to be so sensitive to what others think.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • goodwithsavinggoodwithsaving Forumite
    1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Similar age - I've never slept on the floor. My back can't take it. Give me my own home and my own bed everytime.

Who cares what friend's think. I'm the boring one but then, I'm the one that didn't waste my money on going out and now has their own home.
    Live for you, no one else.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
  • VegastareVegastare Forumite
    407 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You declined and had your reasons which sound sensible to me.

If someones makes you feel uncomfortable about the choice you make are they truly friends you need,.

Give yourself a break and I am glad you did what you wanted.

If something comes up again, don't back down or feel bullied - stick by what you want to do. Another thought is that if the others were more into the partying and drinking the drink might have been talking.
  • DoodlesDoodles Forumite
    375 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    You didn't do anything wrong. Your friend is being ridiculous.

I also think if birthday girl was also making a bit of a fuss about it, then it might be time to evaluate your friendships a bit now. No 'good' friend should make you feel bad.

Agree, you probably have been bad mouthed :-(
    We are in Transylvania, and Transylvania is not England. Our ways are not your ways, and there shall be to you many strange things.

Dracula, Bram Stoker
  • onwards&upwardsonwards&upwards Forumite
    2.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ‘I had a lovely time with my friends and was really glad I came, can we please not ruin the memory of it by keep going on about this?’
  • oystercatcheroystercatcher Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't always stop at thirty !

My MIL is always trying to get us to stay over in her uncomfortable spare bed. I would much rather have the hours drive home and sleep in my own comfy bed. She is always amazed that my adult children don't stay over at family events, they prefer their own beds too and I don't want to have to cater for guests at breakfast time and share the bathroom etc .

MiL loves staying over with the rest of the family too but we haven't invited her back after she was running her finger along the furniture and commenting on the dust!!

OP, ignore the comments and live life the way YOU want to, sometimes there is no way of getting out of things you dislike but if there is then go for it , life is there to be enjoyed not be bossed about by supposed friends!
  • determined_new_msdetermined_new_ms Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you should just do what you want and what feels right. Sometimes I want to crash over and keep the party going and other times I want to go home. Do whatever feels good
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • edited 10 May 2019 at 8:31AM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    38.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 May 2019 at 8:31AM
    Maddy762 wrote: »
    I apologise for coming across as a fool to some for starting this thread. It upset me because the conversation was highly out of character for my friend and because I value her opinion. It caught me completely off guard. The tone was aggressive and was really unpleasant.

The birthday girl wanted me to stay round and made a bit of a fuss that I didn’t. The reason I didn’t is because I don’t like to stay out drinking late due to finances and because I don’t enjoy it. As I would have been going back with the birthday girl I would have had no say in when we would leave and so it could have been circa 4am and there would have been nothing I could do but stay. Finally, I really didn’t want to sleep on the floor. I did look into a hotel but finances didn’t permit this. I felt that me going for the day and leaving at 10pm would have sufficed and shown effort. I feel now that I have probably been bad mouthed and I wish I hadn’t bothered to go at all. It was London so the whole trip was still expensive.

Your not a fool.

You did the right thing, at least you went to visit your friend on her birthday.
    Is the birthday girl less annoyed about this than the friend who made the comments ?

Why trade sleeping in your own bed for sleeping on the floor when you have the choice ?

I dont like friends who try to impose their ideas onto you, your able to make your own choice.
  • suejb2suejb2 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    You can’t control how your friends act, what you can control, is how you react.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.