Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

2x appeals letter 'lost in the post'. Now Debt Collectors

edited 30 April 2019 at 10:43AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
10 replies 295 views
BeigeBeige Forumite
45 Posts
edited 30 April 2019 at 10:43AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
Hi, I have read newbies threads and searched for similar situations but no luck, so I'm going to post a new thead.

As far as I can tell from the newbies thread I have ended up in the 'IGNORE THE DEBT COLLECTORS' stage by the PCN issuer simply losing my two letters of appeal. It is now very clear that writing by letter was very silly (as opposed to using the online system), because of the lack of records / proof.

I'll lay out situation below. I would be happy to go to POPLA, but don't see how I can get a code now. Is there any way I can get this to go to POPLA? Or anywhere better than the state I am in?

1 - Received PCN in post, issued 22 days after offence.
2 - I send an written appeal (no proof of postage) on the grounds that 'contravention did not occur'. I believe I had a ticket (since desposed of). Also noted that to comply with PoFA the notice should have been send within 22 days.
3 - I received a reminder letter.
4 - That day I contacted PCN issuing company via live chat to confirm if they had received their appeal - they had not (it must have been lost). They also gave me a different address to write to again (I have emailed record of liveChat)
5 - I sent the letter of appeal (no proof of postage), along with a new covering letter, to newly supplied address.
6 - I just received a 'Debt Collection Notice'. I contacted 'PCN issuing company' via live chat to confirm if they had received my appeals letters and they will not respond, just telling me to call the number of the debt collection company. Therefore either my second letter got 'lost' or my appeal was rejected and the letter informing me got lost on it's way back to me, but I have no way to find out.

Replies

• QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop contacting them!

Ignore the debt collectors (see #4 in the FAQ)

WAit and see if this progresses to a court claim

If it comes to that then come back to the Newbies FAQ thread for advice

#2 there covers court claims and how to defend them
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you get proof of posting?
  • BeigeBeige Forumite
    45 Posts
    waamo wrote: »
    Did you get proof of posting?

no, i did not :(
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    95.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Which PPC? Some only send letters, no court.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Half_wayHalf_way Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    who's car park was this?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • BeigeBeige Forumite
    45 Posts
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Which PPC? Some only send letters, no court.

The PPC is APCOA
  • BeigeBeige Forumite
    45 Posts
    Half_way wrote: »
    who's car park was this?

It's a council owned leisure centre, with running of the services and parking outsourced to private companies.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    95.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL!

APCOA never do court but you really missed a trick, as we beat them on appeal 100% of the time by not saying who was driving, and appealing online.

You can safely ignore APCOA till the cows come home. The keeper can't be held liable.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • BeigeBeige Forumite
    45 Posts
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    LOL!
    APCOA never do court but you really missed a trick, as we beat them on appeal 100% of the time by not saying who was driving, and appealing online.

It was just the appealing online bit that I missed. Thanks for your help.
  • The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are obviously trying to scam you so complain to your MP.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.