IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Smart Parking Charge issued for a 10p underpayment

Comments

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    nigelbb wrote: »
    How much does parking cost at Fistral beach? The argument here is that payment was made & that if £2.40 wasn’t enough then it shouldn’t have been accepted. If it was £1.50 for one hour then the machine should not have retained the extra 90p.

Are you sure? I have soon several machine which warn "no change given".
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,158
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Are you sure? I have soon several machine which warn "no change given".
    I think most machines carry that "warning" .

On the other hand, how many motorists would deliberate over pay by 90p for a £1.50 ticket when they would have stopped at £2.00 and not carried on to £2.40.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Castle wrote: »
    I think most machines carry that "warning" .

On the other hand, how many motorists would deliberate over pay by 90p for a £1.50 ticket when they would have stopped at £2.00 and not carried on to £2.40.

Exactly! Or even stopped at £1.50. OP exactly what coins did you put in? We know a 10p was rejected.

This should definitely be viewed as a charge for a 10p underpayment rather than an overstay.
  • Braveface
    Braveface Posts: 18
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nigelbb, It was a mixture of loose change, I think A £1coin and a 50 pence coin and the rest was in 10ps hence it was easy to miss one as it didn't register whilst I was still feeding the machine.
  • Braveface
    Forumite
    Hi Umkomaas, Sorry, I didn't realise there were seperate threads dedicated to individual companies....
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,634
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Smart have been kicked out (well, their contract ended for whatever reason) at Fistral beach, as previously also happened to ParkingEye before them. A company called Initial Parking are there now.

Anyway what it means is, there is no 'legitimate interest' or commercial justification excuse to disengage the penalty rule, setting these cases at odds with the Beavis case. So you have a defence.

If it were me I would write/email and tell Smart you know this about that location, and that any letters sent to try to pursue what would obviously be a 'revenge claim' for losing the contract, will be viewed as baseless harassment. And any claim will be meritless so they need to cease & desist and call off the pet debt collectors, as the unfair charge is clearly disputed and all part of the rich tapestry of 'outrageous scam' ticketing that Parliament discussed 2018 during the Bill reading progress of the new Parking (CoP) Act.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Braveface
    Forumite
    Thanks Coupon-mad, Now all I have to do is word it in terms that I and they will understand!
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    You should use my words. They will understand this:
    there is no 'legitimate interest' or commercial justification excuse to disengage the penalty rule, setting these cases at odds with the Beavis case.
    ...and they will understand this:
    Smart have been kicked out (well, their contract ended for whatever reason) at Fistral beach, as previously also happened to ParkingEye before them. A company called Initial Parking are there now.

Any letters sent to try to pursue what would obviously be a 'revenge claim' for losing the contract, will be viewed as baseless harassment. And any claim will be meritless so Smart need to cease & desist and call off their pet debt collectors, as the unfair charge is clearly disputed and all part of the rich tapestry of 'outrageous scam' ticketing that Parliament discussed 2018 during the Bill reading progress of the new Parking (CoP) Act.
  • Braveface
    Forumite
    Thanks again Coupon, I will draft a letter tonight!
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    Do it by email if you can find one on the letters.

Certainly don't post a letter to a scammer, signed-for!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure