New Post Advanced Search

Unauthorised debits

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
14 replies 3.1K views
LouRLouR Forumite
35 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Hi, if I use my debit or credit card to purchase an item online, can the store charge my card again at a later date (regardless of ethics and legality)? I'm debating using a trade/service that isn't well known and they require me to pay online but their terms and conditions mention a lot of fees and charges that could "later be added on" and it got me thinking.
This forum, and you people helped me clear my debts. Thank you all.

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the terms you agree to allow it (such as a CPA), then yes.
  • LouRLouR Forumite
    35 posts
    zx81 wrote: »
    If the terms you agree to allow it (such as a CPA), then yes.
    So, apart from it being mentioned somewhere in the terms, would I know the difference between buying something online and allowing CPA?
    This forum, and you people helped me clear my debts. Thank you all.
  • Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    LouR wrote: »
    but their terms and conditions mention a lot of fees and charges that could "later be added on" .
    Why exactly should these fees and charges 'later be added on?'. What type of fees and charges and what circumstances would give rise to their being added on?
  • Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What exactly are you planning on purchasing and what's the name of the supplier?
  • Too vague a question to give a reasoned answer.
  • 18cc18cc Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If a firm has your credit card details then of course they can make a charge against it at any time - that is the technical answer

you are equally of course able to challenge any payment taken either by asking the company to refund it or if that doesn't happen then going to the credit card company

if the payment is allowed under the terms and conditions that you signed up for then you will struggle get a refund - if it is not allowed then you will get a refund or at least should
  • eddddyeddddy Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps this isn't what you mean, but your question reads like...

I want to enter into a contract that might require me to make further payments at future dates... but I don't want to make further payments at future dates.

If that's the case, you shouldn't enter into that contract.
  • Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you trying to pay a fine (or the like) and are worried about other fees being added and collected from you?
  • Jeady09Jeady09 Forumite
    2 posts
    I think it's more a question of using your debit card! Use a credit card if at all possible which 'should' give you some extra protection (and they can't just take your liquid cash as it were).

Pay them via bank transfer or by any other means if you've any doubts! If they won't accept any other payments than debit card for a one of purchase, then be extra wary!

Good luck
  • Some awful “advice” on this thread