Reporting a death to Very.com

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
7 replies 1.1K views
SW1983SW1983 Forumite
16 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
Hi,

My mother died a few months ago and I recently received a letter addressed to her from Very.com. I contacted them to advise that she had passed/to close the account and was told to contact Phillip & Cohen Associates (from Googling this I found it to be a dept recovery agency).

Firstly, although there is an outstanding balance from looking at her account this was a Buy No Pay in 12 Months purchase with around 6 months still to pay so I believe this not to be a debt as yet. I am also concerned at contacting debt recovery agency when I am of the understanding this is currently not a debt and I have more pressing concerns than being hounded by debt recovery agents at a such a time where my family and I are grieving and have far more important things to be dealing with.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Replies

• HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    SW1983 wrote: »
    Hi,

My mother died a few months ago and I recently received a letter addressed to her from Very.com. I contacted them to advise that she had passed/to close the account and was told to contact Phillip & Cohen Associates (from Googling this I found it to be a dept recovery agency).

Firstly, although there is an outstanding balance from looking at her account this was a Buy No Pay in 12 Months purchase with around 6 months still to pay so I believe this not to be a debt as yet. I am also concerned at contacting debt recovery agency when I am of the understanding this is currently not a debt and I have more pressing concerns than being hounded by debt recovery agents at a such a time where my family and I are grieving and have far more important things to be dealing with.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Sorry for your loss.

From Very's view your mother will not be able to pay the outstanding amount in 6 months time.

Who is the executer handling her estate?

If it is you then I would contact the agency to see what is now required.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • FlugelhornFlugelhorn Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry to hear of your loss

TBH I would wait until you hear from them - you have more than enough to do at present

if they do contact you then, whoever is applying for probate / LOA needs to let the agency know of the death - they will know that no money would be forthcoming until probate / LOA is granted (though they might try it on) - so that gives you breathing space.

If perchance there is no money in the estate ie money of her own remaining after the funeral is paid for then you can tell them it is an intestate estate
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    44.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Standard for quite a few companies to offload the open accounts with money due to P&C.

There is a debt against the estate that needs dealing with just like all the others.
    It is part of the job of administering the estate to account for all debts, just because it is not due yet does not change that it forms part of the inventory for the estate.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as the estate is concerned this is a debt.

Assuming the estate is solvent and you are the administrator then you do need to inform the creditor (or in this case their agent) of the death.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    If perchance there is no money in the estate ie money of her own remaining after the funeral is paid for then you can tell them it is an intestate estate

Do you mean insolvent?
  • FlugelhornFlugelhorn Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Do you mean insolvent?

thanks - you are right Mojisola :o

I really shouldn't do this before the first cuppa of the morning
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    9.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss. I don't know for certain, but I suspect that the 12 months payment period may well automotically end on the death of the borrower, so it may well be technically correct from them to treat it is a debt.

f you are the executor or adminstrator then you will need to let them know your mum has died, and arrange to settle the debt with any other, from the estate.

If you are notthe executor then pass on the message from Very to the executor, and let Very know who the executor is so they don't contact you.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals