Insuring garage courtesy car with temporary cover

Hello all,
I took my car to my regular local garage as it was playing up. It needs a part replacing which has to be ordered from overseas as it isn't stocked locally. While I'm waiting for the repair, the garage has offered to lend me a courtesy car if I am able to get cover for the car. I checked with my insurance provider, 1st central, and it seems they don't cover courtesy cars unless through an approved repairer after an accident in which I claim for... I'm looking at taking out temporary (short-term) car insurance with another provider to cover my use of the courtesy car while mine is being repaired.

This might be a daft question but am I allowed to be insured on two cars by two different providers at the same time? I can't seem to find an answer just through googling alone! I only ask as adding the car to my current insurance would cost a shedload more than taking temporary cover...

Any advice would be useful.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    No limit to the number of cars you have insurance for!
  • Thanks for the quick response!

Just to check, it's not a problem if the car is already insured under someone else's name (e.g. the garage owner) and I go to buy temporary cover? I realise that two policies on one car isn't illegal but is it frowned upon?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    rjanson wrote: »
    ..... I realise that two policies on one car isn't illegal but is it frowned upon?

No. .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport