Car Insurance after non fault accident.

Hi,

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

A neighbour reversed into my parked car outside my house at the weekend. They have admitted liability and their insurance company has since been in touch offering to arrange repairs and a courtesy car. However, after speaking to my own brokers, they advised they offer a service where they can take care of the claim against the third party insurance company. They will arrange repairs, hire car, etc, with the caveat that I won't have to deal with the neighbours company because they will do it all for me. They advised as I'm not claiming against my own policy, it shouldn't affect my NCB, etc. I took them up on this and everything has since been arranged.

I took my car to the approved garage for a repairs quote today. The assessor said he is uncertain as to whether or not the cost of the repairs will exceed the value of the car, and suggested there's a possibility it might be a write off.

In this situation - where all costs are being recouped from the third party's insurance - can a car be deemed as a write off? Vehicle is still driveable. Repairs just include a new drivers side door and a front panel that is currently mildly dented.

I'm clueless when it comes to situations like these as I'm a recent qualified driver, so I hope this makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    If repairs are uneconomical then they will write your car off.

You should be able to buy the salvage back by way of a deduction from its write off value if you want to keep the car and repair it yourself
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure