Lowells chasing me for debt that doesn't exist - help!

edited 26 February 2019 at 2:36PM in Debt-free wannabe
5 replies 755 views
l3mmmyl3mmmy Forumite
33 Posts
edited 26 February 2019 at 2:36PM in Debt-free wannabe
Today I got a text from a company called Lowells asking me to call them. My credit is squeaky clean and I have no unpaid debts so I was surprised they were contacting me.

Turns out they are chasing an 'unpaid E.ON bill' from when I lived in a rented house in 2013. I remember another debt collection agency contacting me about an outstanding amount for E.ON years ago (maybe 2014) and it turned out it was a mistake on E.ON's behalf as they were trying to claim money for a period after I moved out. It was sorted, and written off/cancelled.

I explained this to the woman but she was disgustingly rude and wouldn't take any of it. Basically calling me a liar! I rang E.ON who confirmed the balance on the account Lowells are referring to was paid off in full the month I moved out, and that there are no other accounts in my name. They are sending me my last payment confirmation in writing as proof.

I told Lowells this and they are still saying I will owe this money unless I can prove I wasn't living at that address for the period they are referring to - even though E.ON said I made my final payment in Oct 2013 when I moved out.

What the hell?!

Who are these people and why are they so hellbent on getting this money that I don't even owe?! Fuming! :mad:

What are my rights? :(

Replies

• Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You should not have rung them. But since you have, and they are writing to you, wait and see what comes in the post. Do not ring them again. Do not respond to emails, texts or any other form of communication except for correspondence, in writing, via Royal Mail.

When their letter arrives, you can repost here for advice on how to respond. :)

In the meantime, you could contact Eon in writing and request written confirmation that you made your final payment in October 2013 and that the account was closed and settled with zero amount owed. Then you will have your evidence ready, just in case. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • it is upto eon to recall the debt
  • Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    … you could contact Eon in writing and request written confirmation that you made your final payment in October 2013 and that the account was closed and settled with zero amount owed. Then you will have your evidence ready, just in case. :)
    it is upto eon to recall the debt
    What was I thinking? Why didn't I think of that? Of course, when you make contact with Eon, and assuming they agree the account was settled and closed in 2013, then you ask them to recall the account from Lowell...Sorry OP...I should have suggested that originally...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • you remember my case with eon and lowell , where the forgot i had moved house , but admitted it later

the ombudsman ruled that I SHOULD NOT have had to contact lowells , it was eons responsibility to recall the debt or non debt

eon will refuse to do this , they will huff and puff , because they are badly trained ,

a copy of the ombudsmans report is in my story

I can tell you Eon WILL refuse and you may have to go at this another way
  • I have had a similar letter today. In about 2012 my wife had an Eon account but the letter is addressed to me. I can't remember owing Eon anything and they have not been in contact over the last few years. Any suggestions what I should do?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals