Are BT Trying To Scare Me?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
3 replies 676 views
stressedofdevonstressedofdevon Forumite
1.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
I am just hitting my 30 day window on the end of my BT broadband contract and need them to reduce by at least £10 per month to be competitive but they are offering me only £2 discount off current package.

I told them I wanted to give notice but the man in retentions has told me if I do that then another provider is prohibited from doing anything for that 30 day period and that to ensure no breaks in service I really have to instruct another provider without giving BT notice.

That doesn't seem right to me and I am thinking BT are using that to push me into another billing period?

Any advice around this please?
But there are dreams that cannot be,and there are storms we cannot weather!

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are right , the new supplier notifies BT that they are taking over and the transfer starts .

Just cancelling BT starts a 30 day cease
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    That doesn't seem right to me and I am thinking BT are using that to push me into another billing period?
    It is right, broadband switches are gaining provider led now. If you cancel BT it will put a cease on the line and no-one will be able to take it over until the cease is processed and the line disconnected. You will also likely be charged the wholesale cease fee (about £30 I think). This could mean you also having to pay a fee for reconnection and possibly getting a new phone number.
    Home is where my books are.

Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    Mortgage neutral target Jun 2019, achieved Dec 2018.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So proceed to sign up with another provider. When BT receive the notification they'll (probably) be back to you with a much better offer. (This is exactly what happened with my daughter at her flat. The decent BT initial contract was ending, they wouldn't give another decent offer, she signed up with TalkTalk and BT came back with a decent offer - even less than her previous contract).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals