Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Funny Money

Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations

edited 23 February 2019 at 6:15PM in Funny Money
50 replies 8.2K views
1235»

Replies

• prowlaprowla Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will often fill up the car before going for a long drive, or even if I'm at the supermarket and thus there anyway, rather than making a special trip.
  • I don't see any petrol station as being cheap.

The more weight you carry as well.
    Dont you understand the difference between cheap and cheapest ?
  • jimbo6977jimbo6977 Forumite
    677 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Rapeseed oil's cheap. So cheap in fact that SE England had (politically speaking) too many people using it, hence the congestion charge, ULEZ etc. Old "diesel" cars off the road, newer diesels have to be fuelled with proper diesel. Tax $£$£$ fo da man!
  • bertiewhitebertiewhite Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Like Robisere, I have to plan my top ups, as not many of the petrol stations have long opening hours either in Lincs. In an ideal world, I'd probably fill up only when needed but I know I'll use the fuel before it goes off anyway so I might as well top up when I get the chance, even if it's only a tenner's worth.
    decbel wrote: »
    Can't put a fivers worth in anymore.

Simply won't get you anywhere.
    I put in exactly that the other day when I returned a loan car to Honda because it's all I used.
  • toomsie wrote: »
    Down Crystal Palace in Sainsburys Gas Station at the weekend. I have noticed something interesting. This was brought to my attention by a neighbour who also does this. Actually, I was very surprised that your average poor person does this, let alone someone who owns luxury or sports cars like Mercs, BMWs and Landrover SUVs.

Fill up their tank half full of gas. They either do this because it feels like they are not spending much or they actually don't have money at that time.

I am working class with a Ford Focus MK2 station wagon 1.6. I only do this when I am using an expensive gas station.
    Some of my cars need high octane fuel to run well, and I try to make sure that that’s what they get.

If I find myself caught short, and needing to go to a station that doesn’t sell what I need I’ll stick in the minimum amount to get me to somewhere where I can then fill up with the right sort of petrol.

There’s nothing strange about this at all.
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    49K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go to my local gas station and fill my car with gas, irrespective of how much ullage there is in the tank. There is only one gas station near where I live so I have no choice but to go there.
    If I pass somewhere when I am out and about that sells cheaper gas then I will stop and fill up. Even if it is less than half a tank-full it is still a saving.

I do not see why anyone would think this is strange.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • toomsietoomsie Forumite
    152 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I was talking about this to a property expert. It could be a great way to spot a quality area. An area where people drive cheap cars but fill up their tank could be better than areas where people drive nice cars hardly fill up their tank.
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gas is one of the four fundamental states of matter (the others being solid, liquid, and plasma)
    I suppose that ‘gas’ referring to petrol would be ok if it were written gas. with a full stop, as that indicates it is an abbreviation of ‘gasoline’.

However, it’s probably best to stick to asking for petrol in British filling stations, as otherwise you could end up with a canister  of butane or propane.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• edited 16 February at 10:23AM
    FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    49K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 February at 10:23AM
    Pyxis said:
    Gas is one of the four fundamental states of matter (the others being solid, liquid, and plasma)
    I suppose that ‘gas’ referring to petrol would be ok if it were written gas. with a full stop, as that indicates it is an abbreviation of ‘gasoline’.

However, it’s probably best to stick to asking for petrol in British filling stations, as otherwise you could end up with a canister  of butane or propane.

Or an apostrophe after the word gas'.

One of my cars is duel fuel. When I say I fill the tank with gas, I mean that I fill the tank with gas. I probably only put petroleum spirit in its other tank about twice a year.
    LPG is about 55p/L when sold at a supermarket but can be up to 10p/L dearer at an independent supplier. When I say "cheap" gas station I am referring to the former.

The MPG is slightly worse when running on gas but overall the fuel cost is roughly half what it is when running on petrol. The down side is that the fuel system has twice as much gubbins under the bonnet that needs servicing or repairing if it goes wrong.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • TripleHTripleH Forumite
    611 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I filled up our car with cheap gas. My wife hasn't spoken to me now for days.
    It was a petrol engine..  :(
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!