Pre Employment Screening - 11 year old bankruptcy

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
6 replies 1.3K views
MammaCasMammaCas Forumite
312 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
Hello
I’m hoping someone can advise me on this. I declared myself bankrupt almost 11 years ago - this doesn’t show on any of my credit files and for some reason isn’t in the gazette online.
Fast forward to now and I’ve applied for a job with a utility company in their income team.
I received their pre employment screening questionnaire and amongst other things (DBS check, right to work etc) Their 3rd party screening service will be doing a credit report.
There was also a question along the lines of ‘have you been the subject of bankruptcy proceedings’. I answered no because I read it to mean someone taking proceedings to make me bankrupt - but now I am panicking that I’ve answered incorrectly and that they will be able to access the ‘permanent’ insolvency register In Birmingham that I’ve read about.
Does anyone have experience of employment screening and what level of checks are made? Should I contact them and change my answer and risk the job offer being withdrawn?
I’m just not sure re: the wording of the question either
Thanks in advance

Replies

• antrobusantrobus Forumite
    17.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MammaCas wrote: »
    There was also a question along the lines of ‘have you been the subject of bankruptcy proceedings’. I answered no because I read it to mean someone taking proceedings to make me bankrupt - but now I am panicking that I’ve answered incorrectly and that they will be able to access the ‘permanent’ insolvency register In Birmingham that I’ve read about.

You answered incorrectly, it should have been 'yes'.

Bankruptcy is a matter of public record; it will be in the Gazette.
  • antrobus wrote: »
    You answered incorrectly, it should have been 'yes'.

Bankruptcy is a matter of public record; it will be in the Gazette.

Thanks antrobus- it’s not in the gazette - I’ve done every search I can and I’m not in there. My husbands is....
  • antrobusantrobus Forumite
    17.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MammaCas wrote: »
    Thanks antrobus- it’s not in the gazette - I’ve done every search I can and I’m not in there. My husbands is....

If you have been made bankrupt you will be in the Gazette.
  • keepcalmandstayoutofdebtkeepcalmandstayoutofdebt Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was asked this question but as it had an added word of 'ever' in the line I answered yes. Something made me debate it.

I remember filling in the employer's paper form before the interview and then the screening company asked the question again on the computerised form so you may get a second go at it and be able to revise your answer in a more info box.

6 years after the DRO and knowing it wasn't on the credit report, it was ok. I was lucky though I got asked a really worse to answer question years ago early on which I answered wrongly and had the opportunity to learn from. The screening went alright and in fact it wasn't the credit history the screening co threw a dickie about for a high turnover role. I wouldn't beat yourself I started in a group where couple of people got through who didn't start their screening until after commencing despite us having weeks to do it.

Re Joined Slimming Word in group 02/06/21   ..   Want to lose every week! 6 lbs gone to date

• Thanks keepcalmandstayoutofdebt - I’ve emailed the screening company and asked for clarification and said I may need to change my answer. Am worried sick the job offer will be withdrawn but I’d rather answer correctly.
    The initial job application form asked if I have adverse credit history and I answered yes ‘because my credit file does have a default on it but no bankruptcy or CCJs on it’
    I have no idea what their internal policy will be on this and I’ll be worried until I hear 😫
  • maxmycardagainmaxmycardagain Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    you need to search the gazette again
    Dont worry, be happy
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants