Posting an Ebay parcel on Christmas Eve?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
8 replies 1.2K views
sparkiemalarkiesparkiemalarkie Forumite
650 Posts
Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭
Hi I sold an item on Ebay over the weekend and have sent a message to the buyer asking her if they would like me to hang onto their purchase until Christmas is over.
I haven't received a reply to my message and an automated note from Ebay is telling me to post on Christmas Eve.
PS it needs to go via Hermes

What do other people do?

tia

sparkie

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots stop selling a good few days before, dont be shocked to find a buyer thats upset it did not arrive on Xmas day.

They may not be in a rush, but ebays expected delivery date is a joke sometimes.

Purchased an item on Sunday night expected on Tuesday, but the seller needed to confirm something with me. I did not reply unearly hours on Tuesday. But ebay still expected the delivery to be on Tuesday.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• sparkiemalarkiesparkiemalarkie Forumite
    650 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It might even be that Hermes won't even collect on Christmas Eve and it will be kicking about the corner shop over the holiday.
    It's a quandary.
    The item automatically relisted over the £1 final valuation promo and I didn't give the finishing time much thought.

I wouldn't mind quite so much if I was sending by royal mail, but the parcel is 75gms over the 2kg weight limit

hmm

sparkie
  • edited 24 December 2018 at 8:53AM
    soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 December 2018 at 8:53AM
    It might even be that Hermes won't even collect on Christmas Eve and it will be kicking about the corner shop over the holiday.
    It's a quandary.
    The item automatically relisted over the £1 final valuation promo and I didn't give the finishing time much thought.

I wouldn't mind quite so much if I was sending by royal mail, but the parcel is 75gms over the 2kg weight limit

hmm

sparkie

If you don't send within your stated dispatch time then you will get a late ' defect ' , its worth checking your seller dashboard to see if that is going to cause serious harm to your account.

I was one of those who,like forgot my name says closed down early to avoid this issue, however I would always aim to post within my stated dispatch times so would probably at least try. You might also see if MyHermes still have their print in store option of £2.79 for parcels up to 5KG (not available to pre print or for home collection) , that was a brilliant service for eligible items that crept,over the 2kg.

Lastly, watch those re list fees as well, you lose eligibility for any offers if you opt for auto relist and it catches a lot of people out. You might also consider extending your dispatch time in future to 2 or 3 days rather than the next day you appear to have currently chosen.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • olgadapolgaolgadapolga Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    I'd send it.

I had three orders over the weekend and I will be posting them today. One of the buyers said not to worry about sending her item before the new year as there was no rush for it but I don't want a "late" defect so it's going in the post today (I've had enough late defects this month thanks either to buyers not being available to take their parcels or the courier hiding the parcels). I don't really care if the items leave the post office or not as long as they are in the system!
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the dilemma.

You sold an item, so send it. Don't fanny around asking buyers if they want you to delay.

You are making a problem that is not there.
  • This_YearThis_Year Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Send it. I won an auction at 11pm last night, instantly paid and received the tracking number just after 9am today. :D
  • GabbaGabbaHeyGabbaGabbaHey Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Today is a normal working day. Why would you not post it?
    Philip
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This_Year wrote: »
    Send it. I won an auction at 11pm last night, instantly paid and received the tracking number just after 9am today. :D

Don't forget to moan when it doesnt arrive tomorrow. :)

Start a thread with the words SCAM, FRAUD, MORTIFIED, MISERY, DEVASTATED and how its affected your life and how you are now just an empty shell :)
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals