Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 9:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
905 replies 64.3K views

Replies

• moving_forwardmoving_forward Forumite
    350 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I'm trying to not start up the takeaway coffee again as I had a nasty habit with them :blush:
    Grocery Budget -Blown Mar, Apr, May most of Jun to date.  This needs attention!  :#
    Personal stretch target - Get an emergency fund of £500 -£47.20 at 01/07/20

• BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    673 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    GAP, your post didn't appear for me until I checked in late last night - I wasn't ignoring you :lol: Yes, PA has been good to me recently - I leave the tab open from 5pm ish onward (so even if I'm working later, I feel I'm getting something out of it). The back of 6pm has been best for me recently ;)  I haven't had too many numpty ones, but they do crop up. I can't decide if it will get quieter over the summer (as I think I did last year) or if it will keep up as more studies are virtual, and we're easy prey for them :smiley:

As for PD... :sunglasses:   She's a bit hot today so I've scooped her off the window sill a few times. She's lying on the bathroom floor just now - she's fine, just likes the cool floor (and being awkward) when she's been lying in the sun. I do have a desk fan blowing just now as there's so little air in the flat, it helps to move it about. Quite spendy I think, so I'm only having it on for short periods of time. I'll put it on in my room before bed, just to encourage some circulation. I keep the curtains closed when it's warm anyway, but with no air movement and a furry feline demanding an unfair proportion of my bed, it does get quite hot! 

M_F - my nasty coffee fund is funded by gift cards ;) Although was creeping up a little before lockdown, so it was good to have some space! Not quite sure why I'm craving it though as I love the way I make my coffee at home with my wee dripper, so maybe it's just the luxury of not making it myself (debatable how much work a black coffee is, but there we go :yum:)
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
    350 posts
    ✭✭
    Sometimes the thought of something is better than the actual thing - like the chippy tea we had tonight.  Haven't had one in months and it was lovely but on reflection not as lovely as the one we do at home.
    Grocery Budget -Blown Mar, Apr, May most of Jun to date.  This needs attention!  :#

• girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    GAP, your post didn't appear for me until I checked in late last night - I wasn't ignoring you :lol: 
    Never even gave it a second thought.  I have a habit of blethering on a bit so I'm used to being ignored 🙄😂 (even though I know you didn't)

Sometimes the thought of something is better than the actual thing - like the chippy tea we had tonight.  Haven't had one in months and it was lovely but on reflection not as lovely as the one we do at home.
    Agreed.  We rarely have takeaway but fancied a pizza a couple of weeks ago.  It was lovely but afterwards we were thirsty (salty) and felt a bit guilty for the amount we spent on it.
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £4,423.18 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/04/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,390
    673 posts
    ✭✭
    I think you're both right about the thought of something being better than the actual event ;) 
    Another late-ish finish at work (always interesting to see who's the last to log-off on a Friday) - I'm still at my desk, but mostly because PD is asleep on my left arm, so I'm stuck for a bit until I have the heart to wake her :lol: She's had a hard week at work and was remarkably brave when we had a roll of thunder earlier.

In an unexpected turn of events, I got paid today, instead of next week - I very roughly allocated it in YNAB earlier, but will take a better look at it tomorrow. The grocery experiment of shopping for a month has worked quite well, so I'm going to attempt it again in July, with some tweaks. I didn't stick to the meal plan at all, and ate most of the cheese immediately, but at least there's room for improvement :lol::lol:

Hope you all have a peaceful weekend - I'm going to do some work at some point, as I could do with catching up on a few things without any interruptions ;) 
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
    350 posts
    ✭✭
    I couldn't shop for a month at a time - Mr M_F is a greedy so and so (even more so than me) and would scoff the lot along with giving Puss Cat and Dog their share of the spoils early!

• DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't shop for a month, just because as a family of 6 I have wouldnt have room! But have found shopping weekly to a meal plan has worked well. I definitely think the meal plan is key.
    Dad 6k
    Offer on house and chain complete 21st July 2020
    Solicitors instructed 23rd July 2020
    Mortgage application 28th July 2020
    Mortgage valuation booked 12th August 

• girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I could probably shop for a month under normal circumstances but I, like you, would eat most of the cheese immediately.
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £4,423.18 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/04/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,390
    673 posts
    ✭✭
    Improvements in this month's grocery challenge - I have stuck to my meal plan...and still have cheese left ;) Early days yet mind you :lol: Only thing that I will have to shop for, I think, will be if PD runs low on food, and some veg towards the end of the month. Oh and I didn't buy any Dreamies for PD, but I'm sure she'll cope for a bit ;)  

It's a beautiful morning here, so if it stays nice, I'm going to make another coffee, grab a plastic bag to sit on (classy) and go outside to sit in the grass with a book. Otherwise, it's detangling PD from my knitting and maybe find a few films to watch. I feel like my brain needs something new to think about! 

In MSE news, not much doing - a few months ago, I found the details for an old workplace pension. The scheme wasn't great, and I only contributed for a few months, so I've transferred it to a personal pension that I can monitor, and I will send a small amount to it monthly for a bit, and see how it does. I've come to the realisation that buying a flat isn't at all likely (although I will keep saving towards that goal) then I should also try to on protect my future in the meantime. All a bit dull. I feel like I need something to look forward to and enjoy now but will stick with the little things for now, and be grateful for the fact this is all I have to worry about right now :)
  • edited 4 July at 9:06AM
    mark88manmark88man Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 July at 9:06AM
    You can kind of do both - if you are in Basic rate territory there is not much difference between a LISA and a Pension (marginal 6% advantage as you can get 25% of it tax free from a pension).  

BUT you don't have to decide now, if you stick it in a LISA you can use it for your flat purchase (keeping that dream alive), and if you don't then you can close the LISA and (subject to some limits) put the money in your pension later.  My DD is maxing her LISA for a house purchase with her BF so you do get the 25% bonus buying a qualifying house or getting to 60.  The underlying investments can be the same in either platform.

A marginal disadvantage of LISA is that in the unlikely/unfortunate  event of needing to go onto benefits then ISA/LISA count towards saving limits whereas the pension doesn't - and they would prob cry foul if you just lumped it all of a LISA into the pension the day before signing on.

Not an expert (DYOR), but I'm pretty sure the above is largely correct, although not sure about the [email protected] bit.

ETA: The bit about the same investments is true in theory.  In practice if you were saving for a flat in the next 5 years you should be more conservative (ie less/no equity) than saving for your future 30 years away - so you do need to decide what your target is 
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 30/07/2020 - 107Kg - Last month 0kg
    12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£18K