Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 9:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
891 replies 63.3K views

Replies

• findingthisdifficultfindingthisdifficult Forumite
    378 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Love the idea of sitting in the garden and reading with a coffee, I'd also like to learn how to crochet/knit but I just cannot get the hang of it at all.  Hope you've enjoyed your day.
    Wobbling my way out of debt one month at a time

Credit Card £2,000/£3,161 0% interest
    Loan £3,398/£23,179 5.4% 7 payments left to go!
    Total £5,398/£26,340 79.5% PAID

wobbling-my-way-out-of-debt

• BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    663 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Thank you both - 'garden' sounds a bit grand, when it's a grassy square covered on all sides by flats, but it was peaceful enough, and yes, no gardening required! :) It was a pleasant way to spend a few hours, before it got too hot. No chance of that just now, as the heavens have opened. I think we might get some thunder as PD is quite twitchy (she doesn't like it, but loves fireworks). I quite like the rain, so might head out for a walk later ;)

Now, on the MSE front, I need a big hard slap - my current laptop is 7 years old (possibly 8), and is just about coping with the WFH demands. Without going into too much detail, the set-up means the work servers do most of the heavy lifting, but my machine still plays a role. It has been doing ok (and I do my best to take care of it and give it a good life) but increasingly I'm getting signs that it will not last forever. However, as it is a fruit-based product, it will be costly to replace, and I just can't justify spending my emergency fund on it. Although that is potentially what I'd do if it goes bust, or buy a very cheap W10 one to tide me over (which is just as wasteful really, and although I frequently work with a W10, it is not suitable for my day-to-day life). If it goes pop whilst WFH, work will just ask me to come into the office, which is fine, but it would leave me without a machine at home.

So, long story short, I'm coveting the shiny thing, and need some encouragement to step away from the shiny thing, before I regret it! It doesn't help that there's a very attractive 0% finance option, but we all know where that leads, so I'll keep that away from my impeccable credit score.
    It's all just very childish really - it's just about riding out the 'want', it is not an actual 'need'! I've been practicing that for over 2 years now, you think I would have learned by now :lol: 
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • edited 2 June at 6:46PM
    mark88manmark88man Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 June at 6:46PM
    Not a big fan of fruit based IT - but 7 years is pushing it.  

could you use the lockdown to persuade your work to provide a work one for you to use.  I mean if you went into the office you'd use it right, and no one else would really? And they are under restrictions on return to work so you'd be doing them a real favour by not insisting on a new one

otherwise you will cave in, but do it gracefully and don't fall into the techno lust trap or you will be £4K down the hole.  That said, if you are working successfully on a 7 year machine you could look at models from 2017/2018 which may be considerably cheaper whilst still better.  The fruit based IT equivalent of not buying a new car but getting a low mileage one careful owner (or more like) some obscure refurbishment fiddle where it was taken off the books last year 
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 27/06/2020 - 107Kg - Last month +1kg
    12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£15K
    663 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks Mark, some good ideas there! Work are not the most forward-thinking organisation but I will ask, and good idea about looking at a slightly older model. In the meantime, I’m just backing up religiously. My work stuff is backed up each night anyway. 
    I’ll rearrange my YNAB goals towards building a replacement fund, so even if I get partway there, it’s a better first step! 
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • edited 3 June at 9:09AM
    mark88manmark88man Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 June at 9:09AM
    Not sure I would be brave enough to buy from eBAY but this caught my eye
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/219540565 for £800 - as I said I'm not an expert but I think this is relatively decent spec for a 2-3 year old machine
    The seller seems to be selling at 50 units a week so that's too high volume to be a one off scam, just probably got a good source of refurbs. Seller's feedback looks pretty healthy

ETA https://www.cosmac.co.uk/ - Here is the website behind the ebay store - you might be able to avoid ebay.  Plus this is 6 months warranty territory which would make feel happier. Not sure I would choose to go this route but might be worth enquiries

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 27/06/2020 - 107Kg - Last month +1kg
    12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£15K
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    It's a difficult thing. On the one hand you need it for work, and sometimes buying once at a higher price, a machine that will do everything you need it to do is better than buying a product less suited and then replacing sooner. Also less good from an environment standpoint (although the whole tech industry isn't great in general there!) I like marks idea of looking for a slightly older refurbished one. I have purchased two refurbished fruit tablets from a shop via [email protected], and they have been fine, obviously we didn't need high spec but needed to stick to that brand for our autistic son as he knows how to use them over other brands.
    Loan  2431.89 July 20
    Cc 1 £1800 July 20
    Cc 2 £1575 July 20

663 posts
    ✭✭
    More good ideas Mark, you'll have to start charging me consultancy fees next :lol:  And thank you DAL - it's my first major wobble in a couple of years, and I knew I had to get some perspective on it all on here.

Otherwise, all else here is business as usual - PD has slept next to me allllll day whilst I've been working. I had to wake her up at one point as I didn't think she'd moved - but yes, just yawned and went back to sleep again. Poor bairn must have had a rough night :lol: 
  • moving_forwardmoving_forward Forumite
    349 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Im sure PD does indeed think and know she has a very good life NCNS.  She is very lucky to have you as her cat Mommy and I'm sure she knows it.
    Regarding the Fruit device. My thoughts are -keep on saving if it goes bump use the emergency fund and then proceed to wack it back up again.  We use Win at home but Mr M_F uses both at work.  If its something you need to earn money then its an important asset rather than a whim.  Just don't go into debt for it even at zero percent.  Can you join costco?  They have some offers occasionally.
    Grocery Budget -Blown Mar, Apr, May most of Jun to date.  This needs attention!  :#
    Personal stretch target - Get an emergency fund of £500 -£47.20 at 01/07/20

• girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    PD loves her life.  She's a very lucky little lady.
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £4,423.18 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/04/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,390