Replies

• edited 24 April at 8:39PM
    moving_forwardmoving_forward Forumite
    349 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 24 April at 8:39PM
    Glad you and PD are ok x puss cat and dog send love to PD x
    Grocery Budget -Blown Mar, Apr, May most of Jun to date.  This needs attention!  :#
    Personal stretch target - Get an emergency fund of £500 -£47.20 at 01/07/20

• edited 6 May at 7:30PM
    BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    661 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    edited 6 May at 7:30PM
    Yet again it has been a while since I posted! Really grateful for a 4 day week this week - I feel like I’m struggling a bit this week. I have a touch of what I think is sciatica so I’m trying to do some stretching and a bit more exercise to counteract it. Tricky when work is so full on at the moment though. 

PA has also been busy so I’ve had another cash out. All adds up. This little payment is going to prop up my grocery budget - I’m well within budget, but gives me a little more flexibility. Food discovery this week has been cabbage pasta (I know, but try it - essentially sautéed green cabbage in pasta). I need to shop again on Friday or Saturday I think, and will definitely be buying more cabbage! 

Not a lot doing budget-wise, but I have reworked it in YNAB to be more focused on spending goals. The bills are much the same as ever, but I have tweaked a few categories and allocated some targets for the EF. Just a bit of distraction, not much else! 

Speaking of distraction....PD is not being helpful as she’s stolen a yoghurt (wolfed down in 0.6 seconds) and is turning her nose up at her dried food, which was perfectly acceptable at the weekend :lol: I think she’s rather bored of having me around all the time ;)

Hope you are all staying safe! 
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • moving_forwardmoving_forward Forumite
    349 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Speaking of distraction....PD is not being helpful as she’s stolen a yoghurt (wolfed down in 0.6 seconds) and is turning her nose up at her dried food, which was perfectly acceptable at the weekend :lol: I think she’s rather bored of having me around all the time ;)

Hope you are all staying safe! 
    Maybe PD was concerned her dried food had turned into your cabbage pasta  :D
    Grocery Budget -Blown Mar, Apr, May most of Jun to date.  This needs attention!  :#
    Personal stretch target - Get an emergency fund of £500 -£47.20 at 01/07/20

• edited 15 May at 6:21PM
    661 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 15 May at 6:21PM
    I'm so glad it's Friday! Work has been relentless and although WFH is a better quality of life, I'm really in need of a holiday - I've made a few silly errors this week which have all been fixable, but have annoyed me. It's a clear sign I'm a bit burnt out. I need to do some work over the weekend too, but it's a task that is better when I'm not being interrupted, so I'll sit and work my way through it in my own time. With supervision from PD, obviously. 

Otherwise, life goes on the same - I'm quite glad things haven't changed up here, and we're still at home. Feels safer, at least for now. When I do go back into the office, I'm considering giving public transport a miss completely - it will make my day much longer walking back and forth, but will mean I save a fair whack on my monthly travel bill. We'll see. The office itself is quite spacious, so I would feel ok at my desk at least. 

Budget is all well and good - I've found a local company that does veg box deliveries, so I'm getting one next week to try it. A friend sent me photos of the one she got, and it's fab, so we'll see what turns up in mine. It's a bit of a lucky dip - depends what they have on a given day, but I'm good with that! (and yes, I will be hoping for more cabbage). I've done some rejigging of the budget, and it's much clearer now what my savings goals are, and how my EF is allocated out.

I know a few people that have gone a bit spend-happy ("what do we do when we're sad? Add to cart") and I can see the attraction - when so much is outwith your control, it's tempting to do something that you can control.  I'm restricting myself completely - I don't trust myself at all! 

Hope you're all staying safe - PD wishes you all have sunny spots on the sofa to snooze upon ;)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • mark88manmark88man Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope you get a chance to have some time to chill (with PD obvs).  My work has also been pretty full on, but we got past a major deadline and now its a bit quieter (until the next one), but it does wear you out so make sure you look after yourself

well done on keeping to the plan, but I don't think any one on here doubted for a minute you'd be on top of being DF.

Hope the weather is kind to you if you can find some time to get out and about - although I agree avoiding public transport is a good move.  I would suggest a bike could be a good investment, but then I remembered how hilly it is where I think you live
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 27/06/2020 - 107Kg - Last month +1kg
    12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£15K
  • edited 22 May at 6:28PM
    661 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 22 May at 6:28PM
    And there goes another week...!
    Not so good budget-wise after my good intentions - I got a home-delivery slot so I've spent a bit more than I was intending. Mostly to fill some shelves that are looking pretty bare, and for PD. It was less than £80 in total, so hardly a massive overspend or stockpiling by any means, just a bit more helpful than lugging it home by myself!  You are quite right Mark about the hills ;) 

Less essential was a wee splurge courtesy of h0bbycraft :open_mouth: - I found the yarn I'd picked out ages ago for a jumper on 3 for 2, so I bought enough to do that, and some drawing pencils - I used to sketch then i was younger, so I'd like to try that again. Delivery is being tracked impatiently :lol: 

Still, these are the first non-essential things I've bought for myself in a long time, so I'm not going to beat myself up too badly, just won't buy anything else for a while!

Otherwise not too much else to report - I might have an eye on a new role, but I'm really undecided if this is the right time to go or not. It's less money, but potentially a better growth opportunity, and a non-toxic culture. I feel a pros and cons list coming on... 

PD's PSA of the week: a vigorous chat with the seagulls at 4am will fill you so full of accomplishment, you can then sleep guil-free for the rest of the day. Bonus points if you bounce against the window in your excitement ;)    
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Been missing tales of pd antics!
    Loan  2431.89 July 20
    Cc 1 £1800 July 20
    Cc 2 £1575 July 20

• BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    661 posts
    ✭✭
    Been missing tales of pd antics!
    I will tell PD :lol: I am so lucky to have her, she’s certainly entertaining and clearly loves having me home all day. We have a wee cuddle each morning whilst I have my coffee (and check work emails, shhh...) and a proper one at night when I’m reading in bed, and then she sleeps most of the days in various positions within about 3m of my desk (when not dipping paws in coffee or water, or popping unannounced into video calls) . I’m never not covered in fur :lol: 
  • BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    661 posts
    ✭✭
    PD would like to remind you all that lying in the sun each morning is of utmost importance, and even if you are inconveniently draped (upside down) across the floor, you are not inconveniencing yourself and you are not at all to blame if you are stepped on :lol: 

Budget report for this week - it's ok. The home delivery was missing a few items, but by no means a disaster. I shouldn't have to top it up for a week, although I really would like some more cheese, and a bag of crisps :open_mouth: The yarn delivery was a huge success - I've made a start on my jumper and it's lovely to work with. I have spotted three twisted stitches in the collar ribbing, but I can't bring myself to rip it back, so will just need to make sure they are worn at the back :lol: 

PA has been great recently - I've scored a survey which runs for 10 consecutive days (I've set a reminder on my phone to do it each night) and a few >£2 ones too, so I have over £10 waiting to clear. I have also bitten the bullet and finally cancelled my monthly bus ticket - I'll use contactless if I have to use the bus at any point, although I'm just going to walk my commute for a bit if the office reopens. There is talk of us working 50% from the office (spread across different floors), and 50% from home, although with the kids here unlikely to go back until August, I don't see it happening. I had held off cancelling it, as I recalled they lock you into a year when you set up a DD, and I didn't want to go through the cancellation and then redoing it within a month or two, but that's looking increasingly unlikely.  

Glorious sunshine here today, so we'll see how that develops... folk up this way just cannot help themselves when the sun is out, so there are likely to be some shenanigans! I'm going to sit out in the shared garden for a bit - it's shared by a lot of flats but not overly used at the moment. I'll try to find a quiet corner to have a coffee and maybe read my book, or be a proper old lady and take my knitting out :lol: 

Stay safe :heart:
  • mark88manmark88man Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope you enjoyed the garden and the sunshine- very refreshing - especially if you don't actually have to do any gardening - that would be heaven
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 27/06/2020 - 107Kg - Last month +1kg
    12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£15K