» »

Going, going...still going! - Page 74

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 9:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
834 replies 59.1K views

Replies

• DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I second the elbow grease, amazing stuff. I clean houses as a job and this is brilliant for greasy hobs and badly soap summed baths.
  • BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    622 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Phew, it's been a bit of a wild day - my hair is undescribable with all the wind and rain. I look like a demented spaniel :p

I've not been doing too well with my NSDs this week - not badly by any means, but I have spend money yesterday and today which wasn't entirely essential. Less than £5 in total across both days, so not massive, but this drip-drip-drip of cash is a bad habit to get into! (I did get a bottle of Elbow Grease on my way home from work so I could blame GAP and DAL for that one ;))

Resolve has been strengthened for the rest of the week. I'm aiming for 20 NSDs this month, which is achievable, but I need to start racking them up! It should be doable until Saturday, at least. Pay day is 3 weeks today, and I'm not in bad shape at all, considering it's January, and I officially got paid 3 weeks ago (even if I didn't transfer it into my current account for another week after that).

Work has been very busy over the last few days, and think it's likely to continue for the rest of the week. I am potentially getting a couple of different projects to work on, which would be good ([STRIKE]although a new role would be better...)[/STRIKE] I did find a cat toy in my handbag when I got to work this morning, so I'm taking that as encouragement from PD to keep going - there are mouths to feed after all :rotfl:
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 :doh: Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 :o Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :D
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, have you had it cut? Suits you.
  • girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've not been doing too well with my NSDs this week - not badly by any means, but I have spend money yesterday and today which wasn't entirely essential. Less than £5 in total across both days, so not massive, but this drip-drip-drip of cash is a bad habit to get into! (I did get a bottle of Elbow Grease on my way home from work so I could blame GAP and DAL for that one ;))

Yeah, I'll take one for the team on the Elbow Grease. You'll like it though ;)
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £5,224.00 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/06/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,490
    622 posts
    ✭✭
    girlatplay wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll take one for the team on the Elbow Grease. You'll like it though ;)
    I don't like it - I bIoody love it! :T
    Did a spot test on my (relatively) clean bath with it and was horrified at the result :eek: So I've now cleaned the rest of it, and the kitchen floor (now officially devoid of soup), and I'm so pleased.

One very minor annoyance though - I've checked my receipt from when I bought it and forgot I'd bought a deodorant when I was in there, and can't find it anywhere, I think I left it on the counter :( However, it wasn't a big spend, and I got a bargain on the toothpaste I like, and the Elbow Grease is an amazing price, so I can't complain too much!

Everything else all good, had a few PA surveys over the weekend, so once that clears, I'll be able to cash out, and stick it to the EF :)
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 :doh: Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 :o Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :D
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, have you had it cut? Suits you.
    622 posts
    ✭✭
    Hope you're all enjoying your weekend! :)

Check in to keep me accountable - NSD yesterday and should be the same again today. Budget all on track, although I have been relying a bit too much on convenience rather than home-made food (shop-bought bread, bags of salad etc) which I need to nip in the bud. I have a risotto to make tonight, so that will take care of a few nights. I'm struggling with tiredness at the moment, and think I'm a bit rundown, so keeping quiet and having a few early nights should help.

My bus fare is going up next month - not by much, only £3 extra per month, and it is very good value for money. However, up to now, a monthly DD was the cheapest way to pay, but now it will cost an extra £72/year compared to paying for a year upfront :huh: Not quite sure how they've worked that one out, but just means I have another savings target!

PD is acting very out of character at the moment, which is a bit of a concern. I don't know if she's acting out as I've been late home from work most nights this week, but she's badly scratched and torn the side of the sofa (which hasn't happened before, even when she was a kitten) and shredded a bin bag :( Need to find a way to repair the sofa - may have to take the cover off and try a sewing job :think: Will admit I cried when I saw it - just topped off a bad day! Will see how this week goes, and will make a vet appt if it continues - I'm currently a bit unwilling to fork out £40 to say "she's acting a bit strangely" when PD is a bit strange anyway, and eating and drinking etc is all normal.

It's a beautiful day here after the wildness of yesterday, so I'm off for a walk - going to fill up my travel mug so I can sip a coffee as I wander :)
  • mark88manmark88man Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    sorry to hear that PD is having a moment - I am sure it will pass quickly she might just have got her claws stuck and got a bit panicky - it happened with our elderly cats when their claws grew out after they stopped going outside

otherwise well done on keeping yourself together - you've had a long haul to get DF and a number of diarists have reported difficulty in that first few months balancing the need to save against the need not to be quite so hardcore!!

you'll find a happy place soon and I'm sure PD will help that along soon enough
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour - Drinking milk shakes cold and long - Smiling and waving and looking so fine (5 years - Bowie)
    Weight/Health - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 28/3/2020 - 109Kg
    End 19: CC:[email protected]% - Car Loan:[email protected]% - Mort:[email protected]% = £140K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K
    622 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks Mark - I hadn't thought about her getting stuck, but that does happen to her occasionally with her dew claws on her scratching post, so you might be onto something. I trimmed her nails last week, but she probably needs checking more often as she gets less bendy ;) In saying that, I tried some yoga earlier and she was quite keen to join in :p

Today stayed a NSD and I enjoyed my walk with my coffee and headphones in, happily ignoring the world :) It's been an introspective day.
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hear you on the bus fares. We do have a great service and reasonably priced in comparison to other places, I'm lead to believe. Still, that £3 extra is actually quite big in my budget. I pay for mine every 4 weeks as I feel that works better for me. I don't use it over the festive period and a couple of weeks over summer so I try to work it so that it fits in with that. I've seen myself get two weeks' worth of change and use that rather then pay for 4 weeks and only use it for 2. Works for me :)
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £5,224.00 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/06/2023
    622 posts
    ✭✭
    Oh that is smart of you GAP - I was never very successful with keeping change for the bus, it seemed like I was forever breaking notes or pound coins to get it right :rotfl: Not sure I trust the contactless system these days either mind you :p

Long day at work, and stopped off for a some shopping on the way home - couple of YS bargains, and I bought a hunk of pork shoulder, which will make about 8 meals in the slow cooker. I've got some root veg to cook it with and a massive head of celeriac, which I'll mash or cut up and roast separately. I haven't bought meat in a while, so whilst it's quite extravagant of me, it will last me most of next week. I don't get bored eating the same thing for days on end, just as well really! :p

It's a bit chilly tonight, so I've got the heating on - I'm a wee bit concerned there may be a leak under the floorboards, as the pipes seem to be getting noisier, but it's only for the first 5 mins after it's turned on, and then it's fine. Going to ask the landlord if they will investigate, but not all that keen on them being in the flat without me there - if only to make sure PD doesn't take fright and leg it if they happen to leave the door open. One day I'll learn to chill, and not overthink everything.... :rotfl:

PD seems her usual self at the moment, so at least that's a positive! :)
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh that is smart of you GAP - I was never very successful with keeping change for the bus, it seemed like I was forever breaking notes or pound coins to get it right :rotfl: Not sure I trust the contactless system these days either mind you :p

PD seems her usual self at the moment, so at least that's a positive! :)

I physically walk to the bank with that month's bus fare money, take out the change (bag of £1's, bag of 50p's, bag of 20p's) and keep it purely for bus fare. I went to rock bottom a few years ago. Doing this meant I could walk home and save some money. Desperation :rotfl: