Forum Home » Debt-Free Wannabe » Debt Free Diaries

Going, going...still going! - Page 69

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 9:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
861 replies 61.6K views

Replies

• Robin09Robin09 Forumite
    452 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Amazing! I am so pleased for you :T:j:beer:
    SPC 076
  • BabyStepperBabyStepper Forumite
    533 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I've been thinking about what to do once I've reached my debt free date - wondering if you have made any definite plans yet? Will you keep your diary? Set some savings goals? Get on the MFW board? :eek: Your diary is the calmest corner of this entire board, I'd really miss hearing about the adventures of PD, your plans for a new job and everything else. And you're so good at keeping your diary updated, and so inspiring.

10p humous...amazing. :T Frugal skills are for life, not just for debt busting. Bravo!! :T:T:T:T
    May 2018 £21,228.07/March 2020 £0

100% paid
  • bd80sbd80s Forumite
    207 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    so pleased for you that you can say that you are debt free! yours was the first diary that i read through from start to finish and your attitude towards the debt and shifting it has been awesome.

enjoy the feeling and the ability to save, hope you enjoy the new found freedom of not having to worry about money all the time and just have to keep a sensible eye on it.
    Settled to date - 3, settled - fiend loan, target 4 - 515/170, 33%, LBS lost - 32.5
  • doingitanywaydoingitanyway Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a lurker and just dropping in to add my DF congratulations. Just before Christmas and a year since you started this diary. You must be proud. When I became DF I bought myself Jo Malone perfume I had wanted a for the years I was in debt. Now when I spray it it smells like the buzz I got from being debt free. I like the idea of your trip 'just for you' too. Well done.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You rent at present don't you? Are you interested in buying your own property at all?
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
  • Thanks for the continued good wishes! :)

Today hasn't been a NSD - bought some Christmas cards, so that's £3. Nothing else though - too cold to venture far!

I haven't fully decided about my diary - I'll keep it for a while longer, I think, to keep me accountable, but will probably cut back on posting as frequently as I have been. It has been a bit of a crutch to get me through the last few months, so probably best I start weaning myself off gradually! :rotfl:

I'm going to sit with my spreadsheet this afternoon and work out some sensible options for my (future) savings.

I have a HTB ISA and LISA (both very neglected - about £5 in each), an instant access savings account (virtually 0 interest - this is currently holding the EF), and a 90 day notice account (decent interest, but only £10 in it just now) so I will work out some options with all four of these. The word 'pots' makes me irrationally angry :o so I'm going to attempt a rejig of my annual budget spreadsheet, to include savings allocations and a few different scenarios.

ES, you're right, I do rent - so aiming for a property deposit is an obvious step. Options will be limited for what I can afford in this town on my salary (in an area that I would be happy living in), so some more thinking to be done about what I want to do. Not really sure what I want :o
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0 :)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to rush to decide what your immediate plans are. I think you are in Scotland aren't you and I think you said an expensive city so yes that might be an issue with buying but there are usually some options available. Harder if you are doing it alone though.

I would focus on sorting out your emergency fund first.

Is there a reason you went for both a HTB ISA and a LISA? There is a blog on deciding which one will work best for you on MSE.

Not sure why "pots" makes you angry but my savings are in envelopes if that is better. :rotfl:
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
  • BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    643 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I did say it was irrational! Envelopes are fine though :p

The HTB one was an impulse from a few years ago (pre-LBM I think) - I think the LISA is probably the better of the two options for me, but I need to look into it further. At least I have the option of both, but the EF is the absolute priority for the next few months :)

I had a look last night at the savings guide on the main MSE site which gave a rough order to pay into accounts, like a champagne tower (well, most likely cava, this is MSE land after all :rotfl:) I think that’s a big step ahead of where I am, as it will take about 3 months to get the EF to where I want it to be, but it was interesting reading.

Today will be a NSD - it’s -2 here at the moment :eek: so not going anywhere. PD is wedged under the duvet in protest :rotfl: I’m going to make a beef stew in the slow cooker with added lentils and mushrooms so that will coax her out at some point. Not that she will get any of it, but PD is always an optimist ;)
    Look at you, reading all the small print in the signatures. Your hair is looking lovely today, even if it's a little longer. Suits you.
  • girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a look last night at the savings guide on the main MSE site which gave a rough order to pay into accounts, like a champagne tower (well, most likely cava, this is MSE land after all :rotfl:)

Prosecco daaahhhling!

Absolutely fabulous news about your debt freedom! So very, very happy for you :j :T I knew it was just a matter of time and I'd be coming here to read this. £300 odd quid a month to choose what to do with, how exciting! Make each £1 work for you. Massive congratulatory hugs :D
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £4,706.59 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/06/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,420
  • BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    643 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Today was a NSD :)

It's still a bit funny checking my CC app and seeing it sitting at zero - I have changed the DD to pay off in full, but can't quite bring myself to delete the app just yet.

Still religiously checking YNAB too, but I'm totally on board with that :p I did use the fact the CC DD came out later in the month as extra motivation to keep to my budget as I knew I had to keep £320 in my account. It's just going to take a bit of extra determination in the next few months to keep on track after the middle of the month has passed, and there are no more DDs to come out.

Back to the here and now, and I've got to meal plan tonight (there are some odd things lurking in the fridge, including a very questionable cabbage) :o Maybe some knitting too if I can convince the small creature currently stealthily edging onto my lap that it is not something to eat or kill :p Poor PD never gets any fun :rotfl: