Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Going, going...still going! - Page 37

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Going, going...still going!

edited 29 November 2019 at 8:03PM in Debt Free Diaries
933 replies 67.1K views

Replies

• BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    685 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Nice to see you FTD :) and don’t apologise, I am hopeless at keeping up with other diaries!

Thankfully it’s a bit cooler today - or breezier at least! We had some thunder and lightning last night but it didn’t seem do too much to clear the air. I need to keep an eye on PD as she doesn’t eat or drink much when it’s warm, and as I’m refreshing her water more frequently at the moment it’s trickier to monitor her intake. Skin fold test is fine, so she’s not dehydrated but keeping an eye on her nonetheless. Otherwise, remarkably mischief-free at the moment which probably means there HAS been some mischief and I’ve not found out yet! :p

Today will be a NSD, and YNAB all sorted out for the month. Got my black tie work do this week so need to dig out my bargain dress for that. Dinner is paid for and it’s mid-week so I won’t be drinking anyway, so just transport to pay for (there are ongoing discussions about whether we can claim it back or not...). It’s an awkward location for public transport, so likely to be a cab home. Hoping I can share with someone!

Today’s tasks are to do some meal planning and write the subsequent shopping list. I have a couple of meetings tomorrow so will do some prep for those too and some general admin tasks that I didn’t quite get to during the week!
    Debt at Nov 2017: £8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: £4,161 Debt at Nov 2019: £0
    A perpetual work in progress.
    685 posts
    ✭✭
    Meal planning all done - I actually don't need very much from the supermarket. I could do with some more fresh fruit and veg (using up some freezer stuff at the moment), and some loo roll, but that's about it.

What I really need is a few days to do a proper deep clean of the flat - on the surface it's passable, but if you look more closely, it's pretty clear I've been slacking on the domestic goddess front! I'm going to try and chip away at it over the week, but I'm incredibly lazy so it's really hard to summon the energy in the evenings :o

On a happier note, I've rediscovered a very MSE joy - internet radio! I've been a bit bored of the music I've been listening to (and as much as I love R4, it is repetitive), my podcasts weren't doing it for me, and Spotify recommendations are very same-y. Ages and ages ago I found a website with a list of interesting internet radio stations, from all over. I came across the bookmark earlier, and I've been listening to my favourite eclectic French station ever since [STRIKE]I don't even speak French[/STRIKE]. There are no adverts and very little voiceovers, so it's just a great way to have something different on in the background and pretend you're on holiday :p
    685 posts
    ✭✭
    Today, I am in a Bad Mood :o

Everyone at work has been annoying me (I didn't even get my coat off before I was badgered); I got a flat out rejection from a job I thought I was perfect for and initial response had been positive; I had to spend ~£25 of my own money on office supplies (long and possibly outing story, so will leave it there!); and to add insult to injury (or perhaps the other way around)....as I left for the day, I stretched awkwardly and was harpooned by an underwire breaking free from my bra [STRIKE]TMI, sorry not sorry[/STRIKE] Not things I'd budgeted for this month...and it's still only the 1st! :eek:

Anyway...soldiering on! :rotfl:
  • edited 2 July 2019 at 7:18PM
    BlackCoffeeNoSugarBlackCoffeeNoSugar Forumite
    685 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 2 July 2019 at 7:18PM
    Feeling a bit more magnanimous towards the world today... :rotfl:

NSD :) and I've got an experimental sweet potato, chorizo, pepper combo roasting in the oven. Not sure what it will turn into, but planning to bake a couple of eggs into it once it's a bit more cooked. Smells good, so that's encouraging ;) Always a bit of a risk cooking something new, I don't want to waste good ingredients [strike](or money)[/strike]

Got a couple of job applications to get started tonight - I've got lots of time to submit, but don't want to run too close to the wire. Still a bit gutted about the one I was really keen about, but hey ho - if they don't want me, then it's their loss :p

I can see PD surreptitiously chewing on something out of the corner of my eye, so I better go investigate... :eek:

(Edit: Experimental cooking was delish! Bit like a dry shakshuka, will make again :))
  • mark55manmark55man Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anything with Chorizo in has a 99% chance of being delicious !!

good luck on the job hunting - jobs are like buses if you miss one there's always another one coming along soon
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour/Drinking milk shakes cold & long/Smiling & waving & looking so fine
    My aim is to overtake £zero from below and zoom a long way past
    Weight - 1/1/2020 - 121kg : 21/11/2020 - 93Kg - YTD:-28kg, Sep -8kg, Oct -6kg, Nov -3kg
    Start of Year Debt @ 31/12/19: CC:[email protected]% - Car:[email protected]% - Mortgage:[email protected]% = £145K
    Debt Year To Date - (End Nov): CC:£[email protected]% - Car £[email protected]% - Mortgage: £[email protected]% = £113K

Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020 (YTD): -£32K
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    685 posts
    ✭✭
    I would very much agree with that statistic! So much so that tomorrow's leftovers are looking decidedly less chorizo-y than anticipated :o Doubt it was the healthiest meal in the world as a result, but it was very filling and at least 3 portions of veg, so I'm still counting it as a win ;)
    685 posts
    ✭✭
    Might be eating a Daim bar right now..... :o:o

Yes, I succumbed to spendy head....BUT I did it sensibly. I'd already looked online and knew what I was going in for, so although I had a bloody lovely time wandering around, and stroking various textiles, I resisted a lot of temptation and was in and out (and with some Daim bars, and coffee) for £25 in total. Got a payout from PA today, so that has gone to subsidising it :)
  • girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might be eating a Daim bar right now..... :o:o

If it helps at all, I bought a pack of 3 Daim bars on Monday in with the groceries. Today there are no Daim bars left in my house and LMG hasn't been home the past few days...:o

If that doesn't help then remember; Sensible Head said you could have a Daim bar in July, and I quote:
    :cool: Sensible Head: "You can have a Daim bar. In July. [STRIKE]As part of your grocery budget.[/STRIKE]"

;)
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £4,423.18 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/04/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,390
    685 posts
    ✭✭
    Been a few days, lets recap ;)

Work do was fine - bargain dress more than held its own! Lots of kilts which was really nice to see. I wasn't planning on drinking, and as it turned out the wine was awful so it was a fairly easy decision! A few people more than made up for the abstinence of others - I know it can sometimes sneak up on you if you're chatting and sipping, but there's a difference between that and wringing the free bar for all it's worth :eek: The office was very subdued yesterday, and I felt very smug and chipper ;)

I also got an unexpected letter from someone I knew from years back - we were in the same group of friends at uni, but never really spent any time together. They got married last year and we really reconnected at the wedding. Think as we've got older, we've become more alike. Anyway, it was a really touching gesture, so I must think of something to reciprocate with.

PD is happy as a clam - there is a squirrel nest nearby with at least one kit and there are frequent excited chirrups from her when they appear :p

Budget-wise, days haven't been NSD, but definitely low spends. I don't have too much on next week, so will be focusing on making the most of what I have in the fridge/freezer/cupboards etc.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far ;)
  • BabyStepperBabyStepper Forumite
    682 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Glad to hear your work do went well, and that you bargain dress worked out fine. So mse!!!

Your debt is looking TINY!! Great job staying on track.
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £190
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months