Divorce question

Options
A friend's wife started the process of divorce and then left (without warning) and went to Australia with their 9 year old son.
They don't have any real assets but obviously he doesn't want to have to pay more maintenance.
Would it be worth him trying to divorce her and get a final settlement ASAP before she comes back as obviously it is harder to argue for money while she is in Australia.
(No one including her knows if she will come back.)

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sad that it's all about money with no mention of trying to maintain contact with his son.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Thomas_Holding
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Sad that it's all about money with no mention of trying to maintain contact with his son.
    He is trying to maintain contact with his son.
    Although as the mother is unreasonable it is tricky.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why does he think he will not have to pay maintenance if there is a divorce?

What are his grounds for divorce?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A friend's wife started the process of divorce and then left (without warning) and went to Australia with their 9 year old son.

They don't have any real assets but obviously he doesn't want to have to pay more maintenance.

Regardless of any divorce settlement, he will still have to pay child maintenance at least until his son is 18.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    )

Obviously? Why on earth obviously? This would never be obvious to me.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,188 Forumite
    Options
    How did she get the Son out of the country? I have seen posts here about need the other parents authorization.
  • Thomas_Holding
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Why does he think he will not have to pay maintenance if there is a divorce?

What are his grounds for divorce?
    The grounds for divorce would be desertion.
    Sorry my original question was not clear.
    Would he be able to get a better deal whilst she was away than waiting for her to come back? As obviously she would not be at the court to argue her case as she is a long away. Or does it not work like that?

BTW this is not his idea, just something I have been wondering.
  • Thomas_Holding
    Options
    Marvel1 wrote: »
    How did she get the Son out of the country? I have seen posts here about need the other parents authorization.
    My friend went to work and when he came back they were gone.
    I have often travelled with my daughter (with my wife's verbal permission ) without my wife and without any written permission without ever being asked if it is ok.
  • Amara
    Amara Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If boy had a passport, authorisation wasn't needed, if she wanted to go abroad for less then four weeks. After this period father can report mother for kidnapping.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Would he be able to get a better deal

Which 'he'? Himself or his son. Just what constitutes a better deal for his son - less money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure