Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

Elite: Is this table taken please? - Page 821

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Elite: Is this table taken please?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
15.3K replies 576.7K views

Replies

• tweetstweets Forumite
    35.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Morning :hello:

Sunny again suppose to be cooler hope so lol
  • tweetstweets Forumite
    35.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms-money-penny was yesterday's smartest player! :j:j:j

20 players played

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=99008

Today's Topic (Thursday): General Knowledge 5 : Difficult
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning all. lovely sunny day so far :D

We have a lovely time outside in the middle of nowhere yesterday, OK so we were sorting out some overhead cable, but it is a place I would choose to be :D

Unfortunately this morning's work is inside.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Fruittea wrote: »
    Good morning all. Lovely morning here in Gloucestershire. Just a bit of paid gardening to do today - so I'll get that done nice and early.

Have a good day.

Morning All, :hello:

I'd pay you to do mine Fruittea if you weren't so far away!
  • FruitteaFruittea Forumite
    952 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Sleazy wrote: »
    Morning All, :hello:

I'd pay you to do mine Fruittea if you weren't so far away!

Morning Sleazy
    I only work in two hour sessions. I grow most of the plants myself. This morning I'll be planting up a veg garden - it's a pleasure. I've done all the infrastructure like bean poles etc. So this morning is just putting the plants in. Beans, peas, salad - I love doing it and the people aren't there so it's lovely and quiet.

Enjoy your breakfast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'm not much of a gardener Fruittea.
    Cut the grass and trim the greenery is about my limit.
    Mrs Sleazy will struggle when I'm not here, she'll need to get a gardener. Do you have a big garden of your own? I know you said you got chickens .. when I was small, my grandma used to keep chickens with her hubby (he wasn't my grandpa). They had a huge garden and he grew absolutely everything! Used to go and stay sometimes, I was one of her favourites because I behaved, but she wasn't keen on my sisters.

Poor grandma, I haven't thought about her for ages. She lived about 7 miles out of town and I used to cycle to see her. My mum is 92, not sure how old she would have been now ....
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    41.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was bottom of the quiz yesterday, at least the only way is up!

---

Check clubcard vouchers for any expiring at the end of May.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • MissliMissli Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning Elite thread. Sun is shining, I hope you all have a very good day today :wave:
    New forum. New sig. Yes I still need to lose 2 stone! :smiley:
  • edited 16 May 2019 at 12:18PM
    SavvybuyerSavvybuyer Forumite
    22.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 May 2019 at 12:18PM
    Good morning!:D

I know people won't like me posting this but I now find that even I had an unclear view before literally a few minutes ago and hadn't thought about this properly and therefore I have to correct myself.
    Savvybuyer wrote: »
    […] So they could have set up new EU bodies and joined them if that was going to happen anyway or left ones that they decided were no longer to exist (although not abolish the EU entirely) and for any that were no longer to exist, in total, not to undermine the whole concept of having an EU but just the usual level of abolition and creation that might from time to time occur as 'business as normal' as had previously been going on and that would still have been "remain" according to me. That's what I meant.

[…]

I have now added the part in bold as I wasn't clear about that before so I had not thought fully about what I meant at all. The amended version is now what I meant. That's what I would have clarified at the time (2016 polling station attendance) if anyone had asked me. In fact I have added even more in the process of writing this post.

I notice Thomas Cook are in the news today as they've made losses. It's clear that we should have been going on holiday over the last few months as any firms making losses are, it seems to me, the ones where we would have saved money and those making profits are clearly doing something right that means we should have stayed away during that period. (I remember Tesco, several years ago, was having a bad time. Then they started to turn the business around and made profits. Looking back at it, I felt the time they were losing money was the time when the best offers were on and that, ever since they've been having a better time, the offers in general have been no good for me.) The trouble for me is that, by the time we find out about the losses, and the profit/losses announcement is made, it's about what we should have been doing and they may be turning around and not be any good for us now. I also find share prices speak volumes to me these days. The oil companies have been having share prices increasing, thereby showing how bad fuel prices are for us now. It also seems in precise proportion to how much shares rise or fall, and very scientific. It's quite bad, worked out by how much the share prices have risen but not completely bad as if the prices have risen a lot more. To me, the level of badness is not however as much as the goodness for consumers that I identified in the blocking of the Asda-Sainsbury's merger: the decision to block that was absolutely really a good decision of all as shown by how much Sainsbury's share prices fell - the initial decision was hugely good for us and the final decision, confirming that, was then a bit more bad for Sainsbury's but not as much as the original and good for us in precise proportion to a further drop in the share price. If it's neither really good nor bad, it's shown, I think, in the share prices remaining relatively stable. So, from my looking at it, you can identify how good/bad from share prices - the places where we should be going for moneysaving are the ones where shares fall hugely:money:, as long as they don't cause the business to fail altogether in the event that we need to return anything.
  • edited 16 May 2019 at 12:24PM
    SavvybuyerSavvybuyer Forumite
    22.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 May 2019 at 12:24PM
    In fact, we might well get some summer holiday bargains. I note the news now further says there's doubt expressed by some that Thomas Cook can remain as a going concern and that people are apparently putting off holidays "because of [the B word]". If fewer people (that's fewer not less:p:rotfl::o) are going, this may well be the time to go - I feel it may well mean some bargains:money:. It may also mean less-crowded planes and accommodation, so another good thing from my POV there as well (the fewer people to get through the gates, surely the quicker we can get through them).