Can someone advise me

Im not sure if i am on the right plce or how ro do this properly.
Im in trouble. I have debts amounting to approx 11k. I have arrears on my council tax and rent.
I have contacted payplan a few days ago but i have read they can take a few months to put anything in place.
I felt a bit better knowing i had contacted them. And hopefully i will be able to catch up on my council tax and rent next month.
Yesterday i received a bill from my energy company saying i need to pay 425 in seven days.
I have a repayment on my tax credits that need to be paid and i cant afford that either.
I dont know what to do but i know i need to be level headed about this. So im hoping someone could give me some advice before i go phoning companies and balling my eyes out down the phone.
Thank you

Replies

• UncannyScotUncannyScot Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi and welcome :D

Positives are you are taking steps to deal with this and have already contacted someone for advice and help.
    I would also advise that you try StepChange and your local Citizens Advice Bureau's Money Advice team.
    Help is available and you can and will be able to deal with this and find your feet again.

We are all here to help each other out where and when we can.
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • pidge04pidge04 Forumite
    779 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi

Sounds incredibly stressful.

I’ve read nothing but positive comments on here about StepChange.

Wishing you well.
    CC £4,012 left to pay (was £5400).
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Ambassador
    13.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    Stepchange are useful especially in dealing with unsecured debt like financial establishments for overdrafts, credit cards and loans. Council tax, rent and utilities and tax though are priority debtors and are best dealt with directly. How did you get to be in debt and have you done an soa to assess your income and expenditure? Once you have done this you should contact the council tax, landlord, energy company and tax credits to make an arrangement to pay. If you are in dire circumstances with young children energy companies sometimes have a hardship fund you can claim on. Any credit cards etc you should leave until the four priority debtors are dealt with.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2023 Challenge #8 £12,000/£5100
    The 365 day 1p Challenge 2023 #1 £670.00/£72.00
    The 365 £1 a day Challenge for Christmas 2023 #43 £1000/£300
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Ambassador
    13.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    This is the link to the soa. Format for MSE and post here for further advice

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2023 Challenge #8 £12,000/£5100
    The 365 day 1p Challenge 2023 #1 £670.00/£72.00
    The 365 £1 a day Challenge for Christmas 2023 #43 £1000/£300
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code