Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

New Kitchen - Plumbing

I'm getting a new kitchen fitted. I have a friend who is going to put all the units together for me and put them up on the wall, etc, but I am moving the location of the sink. It is literally only moving at a right angle (my kitchen is rectangle shape and it is currently on the wall running vertically in the corner and I am just moving it to the next corner so it will be running horizontally if that makes any sense at all). How much do you think it will cost to get the plumming moved? Also needing doing is the plumbing for the washing machine which is going where the sink used to be. Any ideas of how much this would cost and the amount of work involved?

Replies

• plumb1_2plumb1_2 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    keelyj wrote:
    I'm getting a new kitchen fitted. I have a friend who is going to put all the units together for me and put them up on the wall, etc, but I am moving the location of the sink. It is literally only moving at a right angle (my kitchen is rectangle shape and it is currently on the wall running vertically in the corner and I am just moving it to the next corner so it will be running horizontally if that makes any sense at all). How much do you think it will cost to get the plumming moved? Also needing doing is the plumbing for the washing machine which is going where the sink used to be. Any ideas of how much this would cost and the amount of work involved?

£75-£200,
    Depends in what area you live?
    can the pipes be 1st fixed in position to the new sink position? are are there units in the way now,will the waste pipe need lowering(through the wall) for the new washer position,as i would suspect it to be to high if it was feeding a sink.
    Will the new sink require a new waste pipe(through the wall)better to be seperate from the washer waste.
    Will the plumber have to do a return visit to connect the new sink and waste?
    you would be better getting a couple of estimates first and set and date.
    A thankyou is payment enough .
  • Have a read of Martin's thread here regarding plumbing.
  • keelyjkeelyj Forumite
    10 Posts
    plumb1 wrote:
    £75-£200,
    Depends in what area you live?
    can the pipes be 1st fixed in position to the new sink position? are are there units in the way now,will the waste pipe need lowering(through the wall) for the new washer position,as i would suspect it to be to high if it was feeding a sink.
    Will the new sink require a new waste pipe(through the wall)better to be seperate from the washer waste.
    Will the plumber have to do a return visit to connect the new sink and waste?
    you would be better getting a couple of estimates first and set and date.

I live in the border of SE London/Kent. Not sure I can answer all your questions actually. The sink is staying at the same height, just moving to a different wall which is basically a blank canvass. The kitchen will be completely empty when doing these works.
  • plumb1_2plumb1_2 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    keelyj wrote:
    I live in the border of SE London/Kent. Not sure I can answer all your questions actually. The sink is staying at the same height, just moving to a different wall which is basically a blank canvass. The kitchen will be completely empty when doing these works.

the waste pipe that feeds your sink now and the one you are intending to use as a washer waste will have to be lowered,or it can be used for the new sink position if routed round the wall,with the copper pipes

But then you would still have to have a new waste at a lower level for the washer.
    As for cost i would say about £150/£200 as it would need 2 visits,first to 1st fix,2nd to connect after the new units have been installed.
    A thankyou is payment enough .
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum