New home owner looking to live in a rented property

A friend of mine and I decided to rent a flat together. He currently lives at home with his parents and I rent privately. However, he has also recently purchased a property which rents out. He know tends to think he is not allowed to rent a property for himself and wants me to put only myself down for the new rented property but still join me after. He is willing to put more towards the deposit for security. Is it true that he is not allowed to be a tenant as he is already a homeowner and, if so, is it ok for me to follow his suggestion and not put him down on the offer? Thanks

Replies

• Where did he hear that from? It’s rubbish. Make sure you get joint tenancy so he’s half liable
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If you were applying for a council tenancy together, he would be shown to have another main residence (own a property) and wouldn't be allowed to apply. You would if you don't own another property. He is unlikely to qualify for HLA as well.

But I suspect you are talking about private rental here, which there is nothing stopping him doing if he can find the rent he needs to pay.

He can rent as many private properties as he wants to but depending on earnings, might have problems passing affordability checks in the end.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be that his mortgage on the property he bought is a residential one, so he doesn't want anything official showing he is living at another address.
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    He's wrong. That's it.
    Protect yourself, ensure his name is on everything.

This person is either mis-informed, or a serial financial liability to all those whose lives he touches.
  • serg85serg85 Forumite
    26 Posts
    Ok thanks for the feedback all. It is a private tenancy we are seeking so presumably he should qualify in terms of credit checks and affordability. It does make sense to have a joint application to avoid any issues coming onto me directly
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    14.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    serg85 wrote: »
    A friend of mine and I decided to rent a flat together. He currently lives at home with his parents and I rent privately. However, he has also recently purchased a property which rents out. He know tends to think he is not allowed to rent a property for himself - rubbish. and wants me to put only myself down for the new rented property but still join me after. He is willing to put more towards the deposit for security. Is it true that he is not allowed to be a tenant as he is already a homeowner and, if so, is it ok for me to follow his suggestion and not put him down on the offer? Thanks

This is a load of rubbish. He's letting his home without permission; trying to avoid a number of things - e.g. income tax, BTL mortgage rates, maybe claiming the tenants are lodgers.

Whatever the situation I can guarantee you 100% he is dodgy.

I'd put money on it, right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News