I have debts, what will happen to any money put aside for funeral costs?

I am 70, have no money and I have credit card debts which are manageable. I have two children now in their 40's.
My question is, do those debts die with me?
If I put money into my current account for my funeral will my children be able to access it and bury me before the credit card companies come for their money,
Do I need to have an executor as I have no money or "stuff"?
If I pay in advance for my funeral am I better off using Co-op as I may be in a different area in the future?

Comments

• Why bother putting money aside for funeral costs ?

The state will bury you - the so-called pauper’s funeral.I have been to one and it was alright.

As for your debts,they die with you.They are taken out of your estate and if you have nothing in your estate then your creditors will have to whistle.Your debts will not have to be paid by family members.

Just make sure none of your family intermeddle with your affairs once you are no more,otherwise they may end up having to pay for funeral costs.Just tell them when I am dead leave my disposal to the authorities (hospital etc)

No need for executor or will if you have nothing,
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If they do organise a funeral, your money goes to that first. You could, if you wanted to and trusted them , set up a joint account with one of them and put the money in that for your funeral. When you die, the account will revert to the other account holder and they can use it.

That's if your absolutely sure they won't use the money for anything else before you die....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure