Forum Home » House Buying, Renting & Selling

Landlords - where do you advertise your properties?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Landlords - where do you advertise your properties?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
8 replies 415 views
pinklady21pinklady21 Forumite
870 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Hello
Just in process of finding a new tenant, not using a letting agent this time. So rather a tricky business to get it on to Rightmove, which is open to agents only.
I have seen a couple of "online" agents who do offer to act as a gobetween and place an ad on various online websites, including Rightmove and Zoopla etc.
Anyone got any experiences of using these companies?
They are Openrent and The House Shop.

Any other good experiences of where to place an advert for a rental property?
Thanks!

Replies

• Last time (just over a year ago) MrsDorian and I used openrent. Very good response from young professionals, not so good from retirees (target tenants), let the property within 2 weeks without a void period, so good result. Also, no cost as a friend made a referral and this was an introductory offer for us (not sure if that is still on offer?). Obviously your experience will be influenced by many different factors. Good luck.
  • alanobrienalanobrien Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Used openrent several times, all good, will use again when the need arises.
  • MossfarrMossfarr Forumite
    530 posts
    Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭
    I've had the most success when I place small ads in shops close to my properties. I aim for local families who want to stay in close proximity to other family members (or friends). My tenants tend to be looking for long term homes where their children can be settled into local schools so this works for me.

I also do my own referencing so I'm able to use my own judgement.
    I don't rely on any other agencies for anything.

It depends on your target market. If I was aiming for retirees I would place small ads on notice boards in pensioners clubs, sheltered accommodations etc - anywhere that that particular age group congregates!
  • ColincbayleyColincbayley Forumite
    579 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I use Open Rent all the time for my portfolio. Pretty much does what it says on the tin, no issues.

If you ping me a private message with your email address, I can send you a link for a free listing.
  • G_MG_M PPR Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had great success visiting local large businesses and asking their Facilities Depts or HR to put ads up on the staff notice boards.
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
  • ACGACG Forumite
    20.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not use a letting/estate agent on a tenant find only service? Probably costs around £100-200 (at a guess).
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • G_MG_M PPR Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ACG wrote: »
    Why not use a letting/estate agent on a tenant find only service? Probably costs around £100-200 (at a guess).
    I do this when local business don't work for me.

Think carefully about how much you want the agency to do though:

* just advertise and pass leads to you?
    * vet and shortlist applicants, leaving the last decision to you?
    * vet and shortlistand make the finaldecision for you?
    * paperwork? Contract, inventory etc or not?
    * take, and register the deposit for you? Or will you do it?
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **