Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

Which are your top 3 favourite places? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Which are your top 3 favourite places?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
45 replies 2.4K views

Replies

• Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dartmoor.

Never been anywhere I've liked better. Rain (there's lots of it), wind, snow, sun. Perfect. On horseback or at the top of a tor is the best of all.

Next is on a boat heading out of Plymouth Sound. Different, but on a par for happiness with standing on the top of Ditchling Beacon in winter at midnight whilst it was blowing a hooley.

3rd qualifies as favourite due to the atmosphere. Notre Dame cathedral in late summer, just at sunset when it was dark inside and the choir started practice. It was cool, dark, quiet and I listened to their polyphonic singing gradually begin to swirl around the building and start to carry upwards as the last rays of sun lit up the windows. I'm not religious, but the combination of the music and the acoustics of the place, designed specifically to carry voices upwards, made this sometime-sound engineer and full time geek extremely happy.

Places I'm interested in visiting

Norway
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Germany

No interest in places that are full of people, have no wildlife, are massively hot/sunny or full of drunken holidaymakers. I prefer animals to most people, turn into a pile of ash if the sun comes out for ten minutes on a damp Wednesday in March and prefer travelling/staying places with a rudimentary appreciation of history and human comfort/civilisation.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Dartmoor.

Never been anywhere I've liked better. Rain (there's lots of it), wind, snow, sun. Perfect. On horseback or at the top of a tor is the best of all.

Next is on a boat heading out of Plymouth Sound. Different, but on a par for happiness with standing on the top of Ditchling Beacon in winter at midnight whilst it was blowing a hooley.

3rd qualifies as favourite due to the atmosphere. Notre Dame cathedral in late summer, just at sunset when it was dark inside and the choir started practice. It was cool, dark, quiet and I listened to their polyphonic singing gradually begin to swirl around the building and start to carry upwards as the last rays of sun lit up the windows. I'm not religious, but the combination of the music and the acoustics of the place, designed specifically to carry voices upwards, made this sometime-sound engineer and full time geek extremely happy.

Places I'm interested in visiting

Norway
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Germany

No interest in places that are full of people, have no wildlife, are massively hot/sunny or full of drunken holidaymakers. I prefer animals to most people, turn into a pile of ash if the sun comes out for ten minutes on a damp Wednesday in March and prefer travelling/staying places with a rudimentary appreciation of history and human comfort/civilisation.

I am with you there, I much prefer nature and animals to concrete and people
  • edited 13 October 2018 at 6:24PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 13 October 2018 at 6:24PM
    The above posts reminded me - a couple of years ago I took the 12 day 'Norwegian Coastal Voyage' on an old ship (MS Lofoten) when I got medically retired. I kept telling them that I wasn't that ill, but they wouldn't listen and pensioned me off anyway ..... anyway, during the trip I went Dog Sledding, saw The Northern Lights, and some Orcas when we went whale watching (afternoon, but dark as we were well into the Arctic).

On my own as wife was working, but probably the best single trip that I've done. Got business class flights with BA to Bergen as well in a sale ...

iu-2.jpg

That's the ship - no stabilisers and for a couple of days in The Arctic, we were in a Hurricane Force 5. Had to stay inside, water still came in, and they brought food to the cabins as everything in the restaurant kept flying everywhere. I admit to being scared ...
  • mark1959mark1959 Forumite
    498 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Sydney, Valencia and Llandudno. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    mark1959 wrote: »
    Sydney, Valencia and Llandudno. :cool:

Of those three, only been to Llandudno Junction Railway Station!
  • dirty_magicdirty_magic Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't pick three from so many places I love for different reasons.

I love Iceland for the dramatic scenery that's so different from anywhere in the UK.

I love Italy for the charming rustic villages and laid back culture, not to mention the popularity of cute dogs.

I love California for having nearly all of the best things that nature has to offer in one state.

I love Budapest because it's two different places depending on which side of the river you're on.

I love Switzerland because the scenery is more beautiful than anywhere else I've been. Switzerland just about beats Norway for me.

I suppose that's my top 5 for now! :)
  • colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Dudley?!!! It's got some nice old council buildings and a zoo but I'm not sure what else there is to like.

I believe I might have been being sarky with that one ;) but I am sure it does have things going for it! :cool::p
  • colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleazy wrote: »
    The above posts reminded me - a couple of years ago I took the 12 day 'Norwegian Coastal Voyage' on an old ship (MS Lofoten) when I got medically retired. I kept telling them that I wasn't that ill, but they wouldn't listen and pensioned me off anyway ..... anyway, during the trip I went Dog Sledding, saw The Northern Lights, and some Orcas when we went whale watching (afternoon, but dark as we were well into the Arctic).

On my own as wife was working, but probably the best single trip that I've done. Got business class flights with BA to Bergen as well in a sale ...

iu-2.jpg

That's the ship - no stabilisers and for a couple of days in The Arctic, we were in a Hurricane Force 5. Had to stay inside, water still came in, and they brought food to the cabins as everything in the restaurant kept flying everywhere. I admit to being scared ...

That sounds good :T I would love to see the Northern Lights :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Dudley?!!! It's got some nice old council buildings and a zoo but I'm not sure what else there is to like.
    colinw wrote: »
    I believe I might have been being sarky with that one ;) but I am sure it does have things going for it! :cool::p

Well, yow gets a black coontray accent fer starters mon!
    And it's prenownced 'Doodlay', speakin' proper loike. ;)
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This week?
    There's a cottage in Wales I'm very fond of. In all weathers, and even with gaps between misplaced slates. (Wonderful what you can do with feed sacks & bailer twine.) That said, almost anywhere in the Brecon Beacons. Especially when seen from the back of a horse.

Most libraries.

California. There's a sequoia I want to go see again, though I doubt the ice-cream will taste as amazing as it did when I was five.