Popla declined, and now parking company ignoring me.

Hi all,

I received a parking ticket in the residential car park where I have a permit for. The permit slipped down, and was visible, but the details weren't.
Brief timeline:

> The parking company refused to waive it and so it went to POPLA.
> POPLA sided with the parking company.
> The parking company told me to pay it.
> The landowner has told them to waive it.
> The parking company still refused to waive.
> I told the parking company that they haven't answered my question about how their £100 is made up.
>They ignored me.
>I emailed again and told them that if they don't respond within 5 days or any acknowledgement to my email then I consider the matter to be closed.
>They then came back within the hour saying that they don't need to provide a breakdown of the £100.
> I then told them that all of my emails are now being charged at £100, and that any reply to my email (automatic or not) is acceptance of this - and that they now have 3 days to provide the information or I will consider the matter closed. I received 2 automatic responses from 2 different mailboxes telling me that they have received my email.
>That was now 2 weeks ago - and I have heard nothing since

Shall I just forget it now? As they are clearly refusing to co-operate and I could use that in court that they are refusing to adhere to pre-action protocol to try and see my side of things? Surely they have an obligation to prove their losses?

Am I right in thinking that if they were to get a Debt Collector to get involved - that I could "sue" them for disclosing my personal information without my consent?

I kind of want it to go to court now - because these "people" ( there is never a name put to any of their correspondence) have refused/been unable to provide anything requested.

On a side note: I have also put a complaint in to POPLA for them completely disregarding the main points of my case. I wonder what the point in having POPLA is anyway? Is it just like a friend saying "Nah - don't do that" to them. I'm not sure if it has any legal standing anyway?

Thanks

Replies

• edited 30 September 2018 at 3:51PM
    beamerguybeamerguy Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September 2018 at 3:51PM
    Who is the parking company

Ever since the Beavis case in the Supreme court where
    a magical judge said £100 was ok, they are not obliged
    to explain it's make up.

Sad that the Supreme court decision has now led to
    the county courts being overwhelmed by scam parking
    cases

They can ask debt collectors to chase you and there
    is nothing you can do as you suggest

However Debt Collectors in the parking industry are simply
    retards and plebbies which you can ignore .. whatever they say

READ THIS
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5859454&highlight=debt+collectors+drp

Your case ... "I have a permit for. The permit slipped down, and was visible, but the details weren't." is happening all
    the time now because these companies are money scammers

Who issued the permit, who employed the PPC

POPLA has no legal standing, this is an unregulated industry
    POPLA which was set up by the BPA is now a white elephant
    and no longer fit for purposes
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You told them that if they mailed you then you would charge £100 and are complaining they haven't mailed you?

Is that right?
  • waamo wrote: »
    You told them that if they mailed you then you would charge £100 and are complaining they haven't mailed you?

Is that right?

Sorry - no I meant that any email I sent would be charged at £100. Basically, I am saying that any responses I make will be charged at £100 because I am using the same logic as they do.
  • beamerguy wrote: »
    Who is the parking company

Ever since the Beavis case in the Supreme court where
    a magical judge said £100 was ok, they are not obliged
    to explain it's make up.

Sad that the Supreme court decision has now led to
    the county courts being overwhelmed by scam parking
    cases

They can ask debt collectors to chase you and there
    is nothing you can do as you suggest

However Debt Collectors in the parking industry are simply
    retards and plebbies which you can ignore .. whatever they say

READ THIS
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5859454&highlight=debt+collectors+drp

Your case ... "I have a permit for. The permit slipped down, and was visible, but the details weren't." is happening all
    the time now because these companies are money scammers

Who issued the permit, who employed the PPC

POPLA has no legal standing, this is an unregulated industry
    POPLA which was set up by the BPA is now a white elephant
    and no longer fit for purposes

It is Corporate Services Parking Management in Hereford - and they are the ones who provided the permit. However, our lease states we have a space - so I have told them that, but sometimes it just feels like you are hitting your head against a brick wall. They make it out as though nobody has ever contested a claim before, when in reality I am sure that lots of people do.

I won't be paying it unless ordered to do so by a court, and I will be making a counter-claim if they do decide to take it to court.

It just annoys me that that the landowner can tell them to waive it, but they just ignore them. Hardly a professional company in my opinion. It has almost been 30 days since the POPLA decision, so I guess they will pipe up once that time is up.
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I then told them that all of my emails are now being charged at £100
    Good luck in prosecuting that one. Any legal precedent?

Don't threaten that which cannot be enforced. They just laugh!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • Ralph-yRalph-y Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    you are now waiting to see if they proceed court .....

so start reading up in the newbies thread what you will have to do ....

do you have in writing / email that the "the landowner can tell them to waive it," ?

you like many people who fall into this national disgrace of a scam still hope that there will be fair play .....

read and watch the below to see the playing field you have been tossed onto ...

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

and slightly longer, the committee stage

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/d5550515-cce9-4185-83ec-754dadb7524a

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.

and some quotes from the committe stage

"The other area is hospital parking, and I want to single out one company for some pretty shady practices. That is ParkingEye"
    " is very clear to me that there is collusion between parking companies and solicitors’ firms—so-called roboclaims companies. "
    "They are often set up adjacently and involve the same directors and personnel. Incidentally, the same personnel get involved in the so-called appeals bodies."
    "Essentially, it is a money-making enterprise that takes advantage of motorists up and down the country. They operate in a very business-like fashion, which is why I call them roboclaims companies."
    "The companies are jamming up parts of our legal system."
    “I now pretty much know exactly how the parking companies and in particular the IPC have been running this scam for the past 5 years. Basically both of the appeals processes are a complete and utter sham, (and part of that sham is Gladstones Solicitors itself)”
    "The appeals process at Excel/VCS is run by a team of minimum wage office workers with no legal knowledge or experience whatsoever,"
    " It is claimed by the head of the appeals service (retired Judge Bryn Holloway) that this is a completely independent fair process, it is not”
    "The letter mentions two individuals—Will Hurley and Bryn Holloway—and concludes this is a typical example of the clear collusion between the IPC, their members and the IAS"
    "what we can do about roboclaims companies and solicitors firms that profit, often in shady ways"
    " the very large amounts of money that can be involved in such scams—a company called Smart Parking was involved in one such scam on my patch"
    "tightening up the rules regarding the unfair use of automatic number plate recognition" "BW Legal, regularly issues 10,000 county court judgments a month, and is known to have issued 28,000 in one month"
    "They are jamming up our court system, and are often totally unjustified."
    " because the lifeblood of trying to extort money from people is having access to their details."

All from Parking (Code of Practice) Bill (First sitting) Hansard

Ralph:cool:
  • edited 30 September 2018 at 6:16PM
    beamerguybeamerguy Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September 2018 at 6:16PM
    secretdebt wrote: »
    It is Corporate Services Parking Management in Hereford - and they are the ones who provided the permit. However, our lease states we have a space - so I have told them that, but sometimes it just feels like you are hitting your head against a brick wall. They make it out as though nobody has ever contested a claim before, when in reality I am sure that lots of people do.

I won't be paying it unless ordered to do so by a court, and I will be making a counter-claim if they do decide to take it to court.

It just annoys me that that the landowner can tell them to waive it, but they just ignore them. Hardly a professional company in my opinion. It has almost been 30 days since the POPLA decision, so I guess they will pipe up once that time is up.

Corporate Services Parking Management are simply
    scammers who are approved by the infamous BPA

Recently one MP said "The BPA are as useless as a
    multi storey car park in the middle of the Gobi desert"

How right he is. They are like a rubber duck full of holes

Don't bother trying to charge this scammer, they are so
    ignorant with no manners and brain dead

What you can do is write and email them telling them that ...

1: You have a permit
    2: The landowner has requested they cancel
    which they have ignored
    3: You will involve the landowner if this goes to court.
    4: You will invite the court to dismiss any claim and
    claim costs against them

Costs you can claim up to about £95

And then, ignore the plebbies and any idiot debt collectors.

If you get a LBA ...letter before claim, come back here

The courts frown on these time wasting scams

Tell the landowner they are ignoring both of you and
    your intention is to involve him/her in any action

I'm sure your brains are far better than the PPC
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good news is that they have never done court so far. Whilst this may change in the future I think it's highly unlikely they will choose this case to be their first.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you opt your bay out of the scheme entirely?

I'd bet there is no parking problem at your home, except that caused by the PPC.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides