Buyer has my item and my refund

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
4 replies 1K views
violet79violet79 Forumite
8 Posts
I sold an item on eBay for about £250 and sent it by Shutl.
The item immediately went missing and Shutl eventually confirmed it was lost and I should claim compensation (I had paid for enhanced compensation).
I refunded the buyer and claimed compensation from Shutl. I was maybe a bit quick to refund but I have 100% feedback and was worried about that.
While I was waiting for the compensation, the item suddenly reappeared and was delivered.
I kept the buyer updated throughout but they never once replied to any of my emails. I contacted eBay who asked the buyer to confirm to me if they had received the item and they said yes. eBay advised me to send the buyer a payment request via PayPal which I did.
The buyer hasn't paid me and won't reply to my emails so they have the item and I've refunded them.
Is there anything I can do?

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    violet79 wrote: »
    I sold an item on eBay for about £250 and sent it by Shutl.
    The item immediately went missing and Shutl eventually confirmed it was lost and I should claim compensation (I had paid for enhanced compensation).
    I refunded the buyer and claimed compensation from Shutl. I was maybe a bit quick to refund but I have 100% feedback and was worried about that.
    While I was waiting for the compensation, the item suddenly reappeared and was delivered.
    I kept the buyer updated throughout but they never once replied to any of my emails. I contacted eBay who asked the buyer to confirm to me if they had received the item and they said yes. eBay advised me to send the buyer a payment request via PayPal which I did.
    The buyer hasn't paid me and won't reply to my emails so they have the item and I've refunded them.
    Is there anything I can do?

Letter before action and then small claims.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • I was hoping there may be something simpler/quicker. Do eBay have any kind of responsibility in this situation? Is there anything I can say to them? Their response seems to be that they've asked the buyer to contact me (again) and will let me know if the buyer contacts them but that's it really. I can't believe the way the buyer is behaving. I can understand if they're fed up with the whole thing because I am too (Shutl's fault) but I've suggested they return the item (at my cost) if they don't want it anymore. I said I would arrange for it to be collected from their house at a suitable time too. They just don't respond to anything.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    violet79 wrote: »
    I was hoping there may be something simpler/quicker. Do eBay have any kind of responsibility in this situation? Is there anything I can say to them? Their response seems to be that they've asked the buyer to contact me (again) and will let me know if the buyer contacts them but that's it really. I can't believe the way the buyer is behaving. I can understand if they're fed up with the whole thing because I am too (Shutl's fault) but I've suggested they return the item (at my cost) if they don't want it anymore. I said I would arrange for it to be collected from their house at a suitable time too. They just don't respond to anything.

There isn't anything simpler or quicker. Unfortunately you made the refund. As the buyer isn't responding *and assuming they aren't close enough for you to visit, then an LBA seems best.
  • F&LF&L Forumite
    570 Posts
    Ebay won't do anything for you as you refunded them of your own accord. If you google Letter before Action template you will find plenty of examples that you could use. Sending a LBA will usually make a buyer realise you're not going away.

I'm assuming you're a private seller and not a business? If you're a business then it's a Letter before Claim that you need to send, again templates are available on google.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals