Powerline Adapters

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
6 replies 778 views
Hutch100ukHutch100uk Forumite
598 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Firstly I should say I'm useless with technology.
My internet signal is rubbish due to my router being at the opposite end of the house. Someone recommended a Powerline Adapter.
I did a bit of research and bought one from Amazon after reading reviews etc. This is what I bought:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA7020PKIT-V2-Passthrough-Configuration/dp/B074ZT74QB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1538249243&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=TP-LINK+TL-PA7020PKIT&psc=1

Looks simple.... paired them fine. Plugged one into my router and the other direct into Xbox. Couldn't get the Xbox to connect to internet. I then tried re-pairing them. Plugged 2nd adapter into laptop. Again, couldnt get connected to Internet. Error message was 'Local Area Connection' doesn't have a valid IP configuration. I can't remember the error on the xbox but it was something to do with DHCP.

Where am I going wrong??

Replies

• edited 29 September 2018 at 9:34PM
    littleboolittleboo Forumite
    985 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29 September 2018 at 9:34PM
    Are you getting the correct indications on the TP-Link device that its connected ? It should be yellow-green according to the manual. If not, move the remote so that its adjacent to the router and see if it works ok so you can determine of the issue is related to the house wiring or the devices themselves.

Also, check that the Ethernet cables are ok and do the ethernet LED's illuminate on both devices?
  • Hutch100ukHutch100uk Forumite
    598 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    littleboo wrote: »
    Are you getting the correct indications on the TP-Link device that its connected ? It should be yellow-green according to the manual. If not, move the remote so that its adjacent to the router and see if it works ok so you can determine of the issue is related to the house wiring or the devices themselves.

Yes all 3 lights were green! Weird cos I moved both devices next to each other to pair again (near router) and after a while one of them had 1 solid green light and the other had a flashing green light. I'm completely lost.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you rebooted the router ?
  • MoneyMateMoneyMate Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Hutch100uk are you using surge protectors ?
    If the Home Plug is plugged into a power strip and the power strip uses any type of surge protection, the Home Plug's signal will be interrupted and in fact may not work at all.
    Hope this helps :beer:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Mister_GMister_G Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    MoneyMate wrote: »
    Hi Hutch100uk are you using surge protectors ?
    If the Home Plug is plugged into a power strip and the power strip uses any type of surge protection, the Home Plug's signal will be interrupted and in fact may not work at all.
    Hope this helps :beer:

Yes, in fact the TP link instructions specifically say that they must be plugged into the 13amp wall socket direct and NOT into any form of extension cable.

I have several of these plugged in around the house and the system works faultlessly.
  • mgfvvcmgfvvc Forumite
    725 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hutch100uk wrote: »
    Yes all 3 lights were green! Weird cos I moved both devices next to each other to pair again (near router) and after a while one of them had 1 solid green light and the other had a flashing green light. I'm completely lost.

If all 3 lights are green then the connection between the homeplugs should be good. A flashing green probably means it's seeing network activity.

It might just need the cables reseating?

Do you have spare ethernet cables? It might be worth changing the ethernet cables to see if they are the problem? Most ethernet sockets have an LED on them which should be lit (or at least flashing) when they are plugged in, so you should see a green light on the socket when you plug the cable in.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals