Claiming due to having relevant cover provided by employer

Options
Encouraged by the following post from Martin under the 9 needs to know
"Some common examples of PPI mis-selling:
  • Did you already have insurance cover?
    For example, if you had a separate income protection policy or your employer provided an illness and redundancy package, and you informed the salesperson you had this cover, but they insisted you also had to take their insurance; or you weren't asked if you had any alternative cover, ...."
I have been pursuing a claim with Lloyds as I do not believe I was asked if I had alternative cover but not getting very far.

Has anyone else met with success using this reason?

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not being asked if you had alternative cover could be a valid complaint reason provided you did have alternative cover, if you didn't have alternative cover then not being asked is neither here nor there.

Did you have alternative cover?
  • keithgawler
    Options
    Sorry I wasn't clear - yes both very valuable sickness benefits and also generous redundancy terms and notice period, though working in a very secure industry with little prospect of this happening and I was employed by the same company for nearly 30 years until retirement.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry I wasn't clear - yes both very valuable sickness benefits and also generous redundancy terms and notice period,

That's not the "alternative cover" mentioned in your OP, those are employee benefits which are (of course) dependent on you remaining employed. PPI covers unemployment.
    I was employed by the same company for nearly 30 years until retirement.
    But you had no way of knowing that would be the case when you purchased PPI
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,580 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They don't have to ask if you had alternative cover. But as you actually did have good sick pay etc, then use that in yor complaint.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    On advised sales, being asked about existing provision is a requirement. On non-advised sales, it is not but was common sense and could lead to bad outcomes if not. Most credit card and loan PPI is non-advised. Most MPPI is advised.

However, if the policy did not pay out in addition to employer benefits, regardless of sale method, then the complaint is usually upheld.
    If it did pay out in addition to employer benefits and was an MPPI then you would expect rejection on that point.
    yes both very valuable sickness benefits and also generous redundancy terms and notice period,

Redundancy is not an issue as its not guaranteed. If the company goes into administration, then redundancy pay is dropped to statutory. So, not generous any more. Notice period just extends your employment. No PPI covers you during the notice period.

Sickness benefits are the key thing.
    Most of the banks have a database of employer benefits they have built up during the PPI complaint period. So, they can see if you are telling the truth. If they have no record or what you claim is different to what they hold, they will usually ask for evidence of your employer benefits.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure