Virgin Media Broadband - Disgraceful Customer Service

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
2 replies 566 views
SimbadSimbad Forumite
30 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Apologies for the long post, I'll try and shorten it as much as I can:

I was planning to leave Sky after being a customer for 8 years. I clicked through to a referral email link a friend sent me that would entitle us both to £50 off our bills if I signed up to Virgin Media. I was looking at the different options, but I didn't complete the order as I had no cash in my account until a couple days time. Next day I get a call from my local Virgin rep asking why I didn't complete my basket and if there's anything he can help with! So I tell him I was checking out options until I had some money. He said when you first order you don't have to pay anything and he could sign me up over the phone. I'm like cool! I say I was sent a referral email code and he told me he could get that added to the account. So I signed up and next day he asked for my friends details, which I gave him. He then rings a few days later to say he was unable to complete the referral and I need to ring up the referral department and give them the info, but he left a note on my account about it. Ugh! So I ring up and the guy tells me there's no note on my account and he can't access the account of current customers, just new ones, so he can't apply the referral discount. And anyway it's only applicable if I sign up online!!! I told him the sales rep assured me the referral discount could be applied, that's why I signed up with him! And if that was the case I will cancel my order and just sign up online so the discount can be added. He told me that wouldn't work as if I cancelled and signed up online I wouldn't be eligible for a new customer discount as I technically wouldn't be a new customer anymore!!!!!! 😡 He offered me a 'goodwill' discount on my account, but not my friends. I said I wasn't happy about that as my friend referred me and it wasn't fair that she wouldn't benefit. He told me I could give her money out of my own pocket to compensate!!!!!!!!! :angry:

I rung the sales rep back up and he was all hmm, the only thing I can suggest is your friend ring up giving your details and say she referred you. I was so annoyed because I specifically asked about the referral when I signed up and he said he could apply it, he obviously lied to me so he could sign me up himself and get some sort of commission.

Fast forward 2 weeks until today:

This afternoon was my installation day, between 1pm and 6pm. No one turned up so I ring Virgin. Guy tells me my install is on October 9th, the date was changed. I'm like, well I got a text at 8.30am this morning saying they were coming today so . . .

He puts me on hold to investigate.

New guy answers and tells me that my flat is unserviceable by Virgin Broadband. I'm like WHAT?! Yeah, we can't give you Virgin Broadband at this time! I asked to be put through to the complaints department and was told that they don't have a phone number but I can write them a letter!!! I'm like it's 2018, what the hell you on about writing a letter?! I was RAGING!!!!
So the sales rep who I signed up with over the phone either lied to me that my flat could have Virgin or just didn't know. And then they didn't bother to inform me that I couldn't have the Broadband and I sat in waiting for the engineer like a idiot!

I now have to phone Sky to give them some story so I don't get disconnected and also try and get my broadband bill reduced.

I have an angry headache . . . . . . .

Someone said I should complain to Ofcom. Is it even worth it?!

*and breath!*

Replies

• AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeap the vm local sales guys can’t be trusted either. All on commission.

Try go through the sign up online. Put address in and see if vm is available to you.

Do you have a VM or ntl phone socket in your house or loose white cables?
  • SimbadSimbad Forumite
    30 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Yeap the vm local sales guys can’t be trusted either. All on commission.

Try go through the sign up online. Put address in and see if vm is available to you.

Do you have a VM or ntl phone socket in your house or loose white cables?

Yeah, I put my address in the website and it says Virgin is available to me.

Don't have a Virgin Media socket, just a BT Open Reach one.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals